Sulfur smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renegades_Brew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so I have done searches and have found many different things about sulfur smell in cider... However none pertain to my exact situation and some say it will go away, some say it wont... Is my batch screwed?

This is my first batch of cider and I screwed it up pretty well off the bat.

5 gallons of store bought apple juice with no preservatives. 2 Lbs of Dextrose from the local HBS. OG was 1.062. Yeast was Nottingham dry pack.

I pitched the yeast about 20 mins after dissolving the Camden tablets in the 5 gallons.

Major fermentation started about 48 hours after pitching. Temp was held fairly well at 68 in a water bath. The smell right off the bat was sulfury.

Two weeks of fermenting and cider was down to 1.015. Still had the sulfur smell to it but tasted decent as long as you didn't smell it.

Racked into secondary with Potassium Sulfate to prep for back sweetening.

24 hours later I added the caramel and apple juice concentrate.

Kegged, chilled and working on carbonation right now.

Where did I do wrong? I didn't use a nutrient, I pitched the yeast really soon after camden tablet...

And more importantly... Is there a way to salvage this ship of its sulfury aroma...?

Ok, so I have done searches and have found many different things about sulfur smell in cider... However none pertain to my exact situation and some say it will go away, some say it wont... Is my batch screwed?

This is my first batch of cider and I screwed it up pretty well off the bat.

5 gallons of store bought apple juice with no preservatives. 2 Lbs of Dextrose from the local HBS. OG was 1.062. Yeast was Nottingham dry pack.

I pitched the yeast about 20 mins after dissolving the Camden tablets in the 5 gallons.

Major fermentation started about 48 hours after pitching. Temp was held fairly well at 68 in a water bath. The smell right off the bat was sulfury.

Two weeks of fermenting and cider was down to 1.015. Still had the sulfur smell to it but tasted decent as long as you didn't smell it.

Racked into secondary with Potassium Sulfate to prep for back sweetening.

24 hours later I added the caramel and apple juice concentrate.

Kegged, chilled and working on carbonation right now.

Where did I do wrong? I didn't use a nutrient, I pitched the yeast really soon after camden tablet...

And more importantly... Is there a way to salvage this ship of its sulfury aroma...?

Renegades, I can speak from direct experience using an almost identical recipe.

To give you a little back story, I started out with pasteurized store baught apple juice with no preservatives. I added honey to bump to OG to ~1.060. Pitched packet of Nottingham dry without nutrients (didn't use Campden like you did) and fermentation was very vigorous within 24-48 hours, just like yours. I kept it climate controlled around 66-68*F and it had a hideous sulfurous during most of the 2.5 week primary fermentation. When SG was ~1.010 it still smelled a bit sulfurous, but not terrible so I racked to secondary and cold crashed. After cold crashing for ~3 weeks much of the sulfur odor was gone, but it was still slightly detectable. I decided to back-sweeten a little bit and carbed/kegged it. After 2 weeks in the keg (total time now ~8 weeks from beginning of fermentation) I couldn't detect any sulfur smell and my cider tastes brilliant.

So, I think the answer to your question is that it will just take time and that the cold crashing seemed to help my sulfur smell, which I'm assuming you are cold crashing in your keg right now.

Cheers,

Rooster

Yes I am cold crashing in the keg right now. However its already back sweetened. So slightly different order of process.

However I am happy to hear it will be drinkable over time.

However kinda sad that it is not really an amazing cider for a get together we are having tonight.

The one thing I've learned with cider is that aging really does improve the taste exponentially. The difference between 1 month vs 2 months vs 3 months post pitching is quite mind blowing. When I first tried my cider between primary and secondary I was worried that I made apple flavored rocket fuel. And then magically over the next few months it turned into something amazing.

Give it time and you won't regret it. It does suck that you wont be able to share it at your party.

I think for fantastic Caramel Apple Cider I can wait.

Got some really high quality farm fresh cider headed my way early next month as a large purchase through my local HBS! Debating the caramel apple again or something else.

Back