Steam injection boiling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bierdude

Reaction score
I am looking to move my 10 gal brewing system indoors and have been investigating natural gas vs. steam generators. My searching brought me to this:
http://www.brewsteam.com/index.php/products/product/view/1/1

I've seen a few threads on steam injection for mashing and the positives there, but has anyone used this system or boiled via steam injection? Any feedback?
What effect would there be on final boil volume with normal evaporation rate and condensed water (from steam injection) over an hour boil?

Very cool system. Too much money for a simple home brewer like me.

it would ne nice if they could build a smaller system with typical home brewer batches in mind (5-10gallon).

I will never be brewing 1 barrel.

Chris

Looks like Yuri's steam boiler from yesteryear, not sure if would perform any different than what was noted back then with steam hammer from direct injection into the mash.
Steam injected boiling was tried and discarded years ago as impractical, more water was added than evaporated due to heat needed to bring wort to a boil and direct heat loss from boil kettle walls. Steam inside coils, and a steam jacketed boil kettle have been built and tested by GreenMonti a couple years ago, but he had a higher output heat source than the 10KW boiler.
I would be interested to see if the 10 KW heat source pushes this into the "Miniature Boiler" class boiler codes, and whether this would be in compliance with state codes in all 50 states.

Back