AG to extract recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArroganceFan

Reaction score
I had this posted up in another thread, but I thought I would post it here so the other thread didn't have to be dug through to find it.

This is my first try at converting a recipe and wanted to see what you all thought about it. It is a Brown Shugga clone that I am trying to make for my SWMBO for her birthday.

So here is the recipe I came up with as an extract version of this recipe:
Extract
90 min boil with 45 min steeping of specialty grains.

8.25lbs Pale DME American
2 lbs Pale DME British
0.5 lbs Aromatic Malt
0.5 lbs Crystal 55L
0.5 lbs Piloncillo Shugar - added with 5 mins left in the boil
0.5 lbs Demerara Sugar - addes with 5 mins left in the boil
0.5 lbs Muscovado - added with 5 mins left in the boil

0.5 oz Centennial ???? ("first WH")
0.5 oz Eroica 90min
0.5 oz Centennial 60min
0.5 oz Cascade 15min
0.25oz Cascade 1min
0.25oz Chinook 1min

Yeast: WYeast 1056 American Ale/Chico

In the original recipe it says to add Centennial hops and under boil time it says "first WH" what does that mean?

Also this is my first time messing with recipes, so I am not 100% sure on how the hops transfer. My IBU in promash are 73.2 and in the original recipe it is 41.9, the OG is slightly off as well with 1.100 for the original recipe and mine is 1.110. Also seeing how this is an extract recipe, I am guessing I would order the Crytal 55L and the Aromatic Malt as milled grain, put them in a grain bag and steep them for 45min. at 150-160.

Any thoughts, tips, questions? I need to get this fermenting for SWMBO's birthday...

FWH are first wort hops...applicable to all grain brewing.

Some thoughts: 90 minute boil really is not necessary in this case since you are extract brewing. Drop the boil to 60 minutes, skip the FWH hop addition and revise the remaining additions to bring your IBUs inline as required. You're also gonna want a nice big starter for that gravity.

brewt00l said:
FWH are first wort hops...applicable to all grain brewing.

Some thoughts: 90 minute boil really is not necessary in this case since you are extract brewing. Drop the boil to 60 minutes, skip the FWH hop addition and revise the remaining additions to bring your IBUs inline as required. You're also gonna want a nice big starter for that gravity.

Thanks for the tips! I will toy around with the hops to see about adjusting that.

For the starter, would you recomend doing one starter and stepping it up, or maybe two different starters?

Also, do you think 10 weeks will be long enough for this beer to age? Am I on the right track as far as steeping the specialty grains?

ArroganceFan said:
Thanks for the tips! I will toy around with the hops to see about adjusting that.

For the starter, would you recomend doing one starter and stepping it up, or maybe two different starters?

Also, do you think 10 weeks will be long enough for this beer to age? Am I on the right track as far as steeping the specialty grains?

I would do a starter and step it up. With that high SG, 10 weeks may not be enough time to really smooth that brew out....test some bottles along the way and see where you wind up. Yeah, just steep the grains in a bag @ 155 and you're good to go.

Maybe I will make this our winter brew, and try to put together a strawberry blonde clone for her birthday.

Thanks again for the tips! :mug:

Back