Does the STC-1000 work below 32 degrees? (ambient)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaddyb

Reaction score
I see on the spec sheet it say 32 degrees is on the bottom of its operating range. I plan on leaving my ferm chamber in my garage where it can dip below zero in the winter. I need to lnow if its ok to mount externally, otherwise i will put it a box and moint the whole thing inside the chamber.

I have 3 of them in my uninsulated, detached garage and have not had an issue. I have only had them for one winter. The lowest temperature we had last year was 5 degrees.
Hope this helps.

I see on the spec sheet it say 32 degrees is on the bottom of its operating range. I plan on leaving my ferm chamber in my garage where it can dip below zero in the winter. I need to lnow if its ok to mount externally, otherwise i will put it a box and moint the whole thing inside the chamber.

32 degrees F is the lowest temperature it will regulate and has nothing to do with the temperature it is operating in. It should be fine.

32 degrees F is the lowest temperature it will regulate and has nothing to do with the temperature it is operating in. It should be fine.

That's not quite correct. According to the spec sheet it will measure and regulate temps as low as -50°C, and 0°C (32°F) is the minimum operating temperature. It also lists a storage temp range with a minimum of -30°C. I have no idea how likely one is to encounter issues when using it below freezing, or what type of issues might arise, but it is slightly outside of the operating specs.

Just as an aside, My STC-1000 is located inside of my fermentation chamber. I've dropped it to below 0C (32F) without an issue.

My guess is that the red display might not work so good in the cold, but the solid state electronics should be fine. If you make your settings and adjustments when it is warmer, and then let it run in the cold, it should be workable.

Does anyone have any recommendation for a heat source? I have a chest freezer I'm gonna use, it can fit 6 carboys/buckets, so its rather large.

Pipe wrap type heat tape works wekk but you have to jumper across the internal thermostat that's inside - it's located where the heat tape and main plug wire are joined together. Once this is done you can control the temperature with a controller.

For heat, I use a ceramic pet heater like this. Pet heater. I think it might be 150 watts. Also added a small fan blowing on the heater so the fan and heater turn on at the same time. This is in a 2 level insulated box with room for 8 carboys on each level,though sadly it has never been that full. Heh. It seems to work quite well.

It also has 2 rancos on the outside of the box that can get quite cold in the winter. -10F.? Just guessing there but probably pretty close. I think you'll be good there.

Good luck.
Kyle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back