Chinook vs Perle growth rates

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JollyMon

Reaction score
The last week of June I planted a couple of crowns from great lakes hops (beautiful crowns from these guys). I know it was very late, but there were reasons. They both are growing, but at VERY different rates. The chinook is about 12 ft tall and has hops starting to take form. The Perle is about 18 inches tall and refusing to go to 19". I don't care about harvest this year so that's not my concern. I'm just curious from others out there if this is normal. Does Perle grow very slow? Is this just because of my late planting? And most importantly will they grow better next year?

Here is my experience with hops this year that might shed some light on what your seeing.

My crystal hops exploded out of the ground in april and I just harvested on sunday, my glaciers still need 2-3 more weeks before they can be harvested, my centeniels only grew short thin vines this year and did nothing, my northern brewer only grew 4 inches, and my cascade grew sideways more than vertically and is only now forming the hop burrs that might or might not turn into hop comes before fall.

Seems to me like different varieties like different things. Could be temperature, hours of daylight per day, soil conditions favor some while not other varieties.

Of all the hops I've tried growing, Perle has been the poorest performer. In six years, I've never gotten any cones and the plants rarely exceed 6'. I'm going to start over at the new house.

Back