Vanilla Cake Icing Aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jp1316

Reaction score
How could you achieve a vanilla cake icing aroma? I'd like to try to have that aroma with a porter that I am making. Its different then just the aroma of vanilla beans, but I think they would have to be a part of what is added. I've never made icing for a cake, but it looks like its just butter, vanilla, white sugar and milk(optional).

You could try experimenting with combining vanilla, butter extract, sugar and lactose until you arrived at the aroma that you are looking for.

I would say look for an ale yeast that leaves around some diacetyl to get the buttery taste (maybe an english ale yeast). Or, you could do what the British brewers do with cask ale and kill the fermentation when it's about 2 points away from terminal gravity, and see if you get a little diacetyl left that way. Butter extract just sounds kind of wrong to me, but maybe it would be ok.

Add vanilla beans to the end of the boil the yeast perhaps Belgian Ardennes 3522 or 1214
something that that gives esters

Do you think I should use that as the sole yeast for the porter, or should I mix it with the american ale yeast that I planned on using?

How about cream soda extract? That might give you some buttery character.

You are almost describing spf 8 from Port Brewing . It's been a while since I've had it but you
may want to look up a clone for this. Not a Porter but has some of the qualities you are looking for.

Some consider it cheating. I've used two of them before - the graham cracker flavor extract and the peanut butter one (in different beers). I think they add a nice nose.

I don't use some extract flavors(i.e. watermelon) because they just don't smell/taste right, but if they do smell/taste right then I'm all for it. I'm also going to get the bacon flavor because why not...its bacon!

I'm also going to try a white chocolate extract to add aroma to an oatmeal cookie brown ale that I'm making. I made it last time with vanilla beans and it turned out pretty good, but I just wanted to try something different with these next two beers to see how it worked out.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XWHIWE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Isnt there a frosting flavored vodka? Not sure how much would be needed but you could test it out with a pint as another alternative.

I've tried making extracts with vodka(blueberry most recently) and I never like how to they turn out. I can either not taste the added substance(ie blueberry) or I add more and then I can taste the vodka. I even tried using Randy Mosher's method with the shot glass and dropper and then scaling it up, but I still had the same vodka taste issue.

Back