Dry Hop Newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lepoc2635

Reaction score
I'm about to start an IPA batch and intend to dry hop for the first time. My questions are:

1. Is there a concern about the hop plugs contaminating the beer?

2. Should I secondary ferment in a carboy, then transfer to a keg to condition, or can I just secondary AND condition in the keg?

2a. When do I introduce the hops?

Thanks a ton for your helping.

:mug:

Lepoc2635 said:
I'm about to start an IPA batch and intend to dry hop for the first time. My questions are:

1. Is there a concern about the hop plugs contaminating the beer?

Very little unless you cough or sneeze on them.

Lepoc2635 said:
2. Should I secondary ferment in a carboy, then transfer to a keg to condition, or can I just secondary AND condition in the keg?

2a. When do I introduce the hops?

I would secondary and dry hop in the carboy. Once you keg if you want more aroma you can dry hop in the keg too.

Thanks for repsonding so quickly. In Edwort's scenario, would I just rerack to secondary like normal, then just drop the hops into the keg? At this point, I only have a nylon "hop bag".

You will want to weight it down more than you might think. Sterilize the weight! Also if you secondary in a carboy, dry hops are difficult to get back out! If you are doing a full oz, you might want to use 2 bags. Good Luck!

Back