Lowes food grade buckets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BetterSense

Reaction score
I know there has been some discussion about the grey lowes buckets, but I was there today and they have white ones, which are made by a company in Ohio, and the Lowes product description says "food grade". The bottom of the bucket says "HDPE". 5 gallons is too small for a primary fermenter, but it could make a good bottle bucket. They are $4, and they have lids with orings, but I'm pretty sure the lids cost extra.

Yup, they're food grade, the lids are sold separately, and they're not only good for bottling buckets (takes minutes to drill for a faucet) they're a cheap sanitation bucket for brew days...

Cheers!

i use them for bottling buckets, they're the perfect size.

I just picked up two 5 gal clear plastic, labeled food grade, graduated with gallons/quarts/liters at home depot. $5 each. Score!

i use mine for sanitation on brew days, and usually for a liquid bucket for blow off tubes.. i was planning on cutting a hole in the lid for the blowoff tube to push into, but been too lazy to do that yet

got the same thing at Ace Hardware. They do stain with iodine solution but they make great secondary fermenter and are good for 4 gallon batches.

Rock Chalk

Chris

got the same thing at Ace Hardware. They do stain with iodine solution but they make great secondary fermenter and are good for 4 gallon batches.

Rock Chalk

Chris

Heck, pretty much anything other than SS will stain from Iodophor ;) But you can remove that tint with an extended soak in a weak bleach solution. BT/DT...

Cheers!

Heck, pretty much anything other than SS will stain from Iodophor ;) But you can remove that tint with an extended soak in a weak bleach solution. BT/DT...

Cheers!

Just bottled a pale ale i used the buck as a secondary for and the stain is gone.

Think i should us this as justification to brew more "Babe, I need to get the iodine stain out of my bucket"

Rock Chalk

Chris

Sounds good for storing grains. How much 2-row fits in a 5 gal bucket? I've not had an opportunity for a group buy on grains, but a new store opened in town (Melbourne. FL) and I'm hoping they might give a price break for a 50 lb bag.

Non beer idea but I use these buckets as brining buckets as well. They also work great as soak buckets for lable removal.

Sounds good for storing grains. How much 2-row fits in a 5 gal bucket? I've not had an opportunity for a group buy on grains, but a new store opened in town (Melbourne. FL) and I'm hoping they might give a price break for a 50 lb bag.

I fit 25 lbs of grain into one of these 5 gallon buckets. You can also buy a white #2 plastic food grade option from Walmart for $4 including the lid. These are in the paint dept and are great for storing grain. I also use these buckets fro fermenting 3-4 gallon size batches. Now that i do all grain I might make 8 gallons total and split these into 2 different buckets to try different yeast strains or have one to btoole and one to keg.

Back