Alternative Sugar Beer B's Honey Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP320
Yeast Starter
YES
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
3.1 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days @ 68° F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days @ 68° F
B's Honey Wheat

Grain:
3.50 lbs. Wheat Malt 1.038
2.50 lbs. Pale 2-row Malt 1.036
2.00 lbs. Honey 1.042
.25 lbs. Honey Malt 1.030

Hops:
.75 oz. Glacier 4.8 AA 60 mins
.75 oz. Glacier 4.8 AA 20 mins
.75 oz. Glacier 4.8 AA 0 mins

Yeast:
WLP320

Notes:
Add honey at flameout.
Mash schedule: 30 min protein rest at 122°F, 60 minute Saccharification rest at 154° F.
Watermelon version: Add 2 cups watermelon juice to secondary.

Awards:
1st place, Best of Show Dominion Cup 2006 in Light Hybrid category.

Ok well I love watermelon so I did some research to find an extract version of a watermelon beer, no luck so I found out how to convert from AG to Extract... Hopefully I did it right.

I used this to help me with the conversions.

First my basic numbers:

Wheat needed in DME = 2.4 lbs
2-Row needed in DME = 1.7 lbs
Honey Malt I was told that you could steep it or do a mini/partial mash of it.
Honey, same as orginal recipe = 2 lbs

What I came up with some more research... Can't just buy pure wheat extract...

Basic 65% Wheat/35% Barley Dry Malt Extract was used to get wheat.
3.7 lbs of a 65/35 mix to provide the wheat extract. This provides 1.3 lbs of 2-row (told it was barley in the IRC room)

So you need more 2-row to fill the grain bill, at .4 lbs of a light Dry Malt Extract, or some sort of extract that is a 2-row substitute. I was doing my research of this and found it to be suitable, but then told that not everyone does it this way so check it before you buy it.

Now for those of you who don't care how I got everything I'll provide a quick rundown of what is needed now.

Extract version of B's Honey Wheat (added watermelon juice to make it watermelon)

3.7 lbs Wheat DME (65/35 mix)
0.4 lbs Light DME (or suitable replacement for a 2-row/barley DME)
2.0 lbs Honey
0.25 lbs Honey Malt (either steep or mini/partial mash)

Continue with the rest of the recipe and hope it works out for you.

Thanks for that Nugget.
PM me when you crack #1 and let me know how it is.

Not gonna be doing it for a lil bit, our first one is gonna go down this weekend (sunday) and then I'll start thinking about it...

I'll be doing this one for my next brew, but with sterling instead of glacier. I think it'll be great. Thanks dude!

I made this recipe this past weekend, can't wait!

EDIT: Added the watermelon juice going into the secondary. Bought some from Whole foods

EDIT: Duh.. be sure to boil the watermelon juice when you buy it fresh..

Just a little bump on this thread....

Are there any results out there for Dude's recipe, but with nugget's translation to DME's?

Only been brewing about 1 year, maybe 8 brews under my belt. I'm not ready to tackle grains and mashing. YET................

Wife and I just got back from vacation to Boston. Went to Boston Beer Works (actually we went to Salem Beer Works in Salem, but same chain) and wife fell in love with the watermellon and blueberry ale. This is probably I the first time I heard the words " Honey.... do you think you could brew something like this for me?"

Well....... guys is there any more incentive to brew then that?

thanks in advance

so i have a few partial mashes under my belt and one full grain. i really want to do this and understand that you just hold the temp at 122 deg for 30min. right? then at 154 for 60 min. right? then boil 60 min adding the hops at the proper time? what i am wondering is do i need the protein rest? and what does it do?

You don't need the protein rest. What that will do is extract a bit more efficiency from the wheat. You can always add a touch more grain or dme to compensate.

I made a batch of this on Saturday but I used Safale0-05 and did a straight infusion mash. It's fermenting right now at 69F and going like Gangbusters. I was a little low on hitting the OG and hit 1.041 which is fine for me (71.1% brewhouse effeciency). I have been having trouble hitting my mash temps and this one seemed to come down very quickly over an 80 minute period. I double batch sparged at ~168F. I got a watermelon ready to cut up and strain for the secondary which I'll probably rack onto this comming holiday weekend. Debating whether to use 2 or 3 cups of juice.

Thanks for the great recipe Dude.

I am going to try this this weekend as my first all grain. I would love a little reassurance on what I am doing with the two rests. Lets say I start at 12 noon. I pour the grain and 122F water in and let rest for 30min. (12:30). I then add water to bring it up to 154F and let rest for 60 additional minutes. (1:30) sparge and then proceed with the hops. Is this right or am I off somewhere?

Jamie3- my shop doesn't either, I am going to use a golding/cascade blend. Probably equal parts at each step.

I brewed this beer with a few minor mishaps and still pulled a Silver Metal as a Braggot, in New Mexico 23rd Annual State Fair Pro-Am (2011). Great Beer I'm going to have to brew another 10 gals of it. It goes down way to fast. :mug:

What's the turnaround on this beer? I want something light and flavorful (besides Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde) in time for Christmas, but I've seen a lot of folks talking about 6 weeks before it's ready.. :confused:

To answer my own inquiry on this thread..

I made this recipe about a month ago. Turned out great. I was really looking for something with the residual sweetness of Lienenkugels (sp?) Honey Weiss.. This recipe is an excellent wheat beer. Mine didn't have the honey sweetness I was looking for, but in the recipe's defense, I used cheap honey from Kroeger which probably attributed to the lack of honey presence. I recommend using local honey from you LHBS or from a local vendor.

Excellent beer with a short turnaround time. The honey malt requires some time to mellow but a week in secondary or in a keg will knock that out.

Hope this helps someone!

Eat 'em up Kats!

I brewed this three weeks ago tomorrow, and still activity in the goose neck air lock! Thought about cold crashing mid week but now not sure if I should wait even longer...?

Just brewed a batch of the extract version of this. Couldn't find any glacier hops local so I used fuggles at 60 mins, fuggles and cascade 50/50 at 20 mins and cascade to finish.

Wish me luck, this is only my second brew!

So I just cracked one open for the first time last night and for some reason it tasted a little watered down. I hit all the target numbers (+ or - .001) volume was about right exactly 48 bottles... did I mash too low? any ideas?

doing this recipe right now using Tettnanger instead of Glacier and German Pilsner instead of Pale. Will report back in 2 months with the results :)

I'd like to do this recipe today and have a question about the mash steps. Do I drain the mash tun before sparging? Thanks

Bumping this oldish thread. I'm curious if I could cut this recipe in half for a 3 gallon batch? Sounds really good, except I'm thinking blueberries in the secondary....

-Kingboomer

LHBS doesn't carry Glacier hops. On hand I have, tettnanger, Willamette, Kent Goldings, Northern brewer, Mt. Hood, and Columbus. Which would be best for a substitution? Thanks.

Latest posts

Back