Pellicle Photo Collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3 weeks into a Lambic. Just starting to look funky.

IMG_0611.jpg

I guess this is Brett. It seems like some of you try to achieve this for sour beers I'm guessing. Mine was unintentional. My question is what to do with it now?
It's been sitting for 4 weeks. So do I let it sit longer, bottle it or dump it?
Thanks in advance for any advice!
View attachment 340137View attachment 340138

I would let it sit for a few months and dedicate that bucket for Bug beers. Cheers you are doing a great job. Good talk.

I guess this is Brett. It seems like some of you try to achieve this for sour beers I'm guessing. Mine was unintentional. My question is what to do with it now?
It's been sitting for 4 weeks. So do I let it sit longer, bottle it or dump it?
Thanks in advance for any advice!

I second val214's advice. Either way, the bucket it done when it comes to clean beers in my opinion. If you aren't hurting for space, then just put it in the corner and let it sit for a few months. Give it a taste now, and see how you are feeling. Monitor it over the next couple months. If you are digging it, then you have a keeper. If not, dump it. Can't hurt, eh?

Assuming its just Brett, i'd give it a total of at least four months to finish out, just to be safe. Just keep an eye on it and taste it periodically. What style was it originally?

Here's an all-pilsner ale I brewed with a wild yeast strain isolated by a local brewery and generously given to me to try out. The head brewer tells me genetic testing has so far indicated that it's neither sacc nor brett. All I know is its delicious and weird.

I wasn't expecting a pellicle, or I'd have taken a pic before moving the bucket.

View attachment 1456759621101.jpg

View attachment 1456759639185.jpg

Assuming its just Brett, i'd give it a total of at least four months to finish out, just to be safe.
Brett...months...finish out...hmmmm....might just forget about it for a while, but long term aging in plastic is no good.

Just curious, how many fermenters do you have?

Let's see...
2x1gallon jugs
3x2gallon buckets
2x4 gallon buckets
4x6 gallon carboys (2 PET, 2 glass)
2x6.5 gallon buckets

I think that's it. I'm really liking the flexibility to be able to bottle a partial batch and do something weird with the rest.

I think I have ten 5 to 6.5 gallon carboys at the moment, eight of which are either glass or dedicated mixed/Brett PET bottles. I still feel like I don't have enough. I'd be brewing a sour every other weekend if I had enough fermenter space. Or until I ran out of space to put carboys, I guess haha.

I think 18 carboys and at least two 55 gallon barrels would be adequate enough to keep me happy. Someday... someday... :)

i'm somewhere between 15 to 20 (just picked up 3 last week, used)... and i think i'm getting close to what i need :D

thank goodness i live out in the 'burbs and have a basement.

Is it odd that i check this thread every other night even though i have never brewed a sour/funky beer? Hell i have only liked a couple of funky beers i have tried, yet somehow i am so drawn to the Lambic / wild forum. :D

The latest pellicle on the lambic in a 59-gal French oak barrel. This is the third year (we're about 4 months into the third year). I would guess maybe 1 gal is 2.33 year-old lambic, 2 gal is 1.33 year-old lambic, and 52 gal is 0.33 year-old lambic. The aroma is wondrous.

20160319_090926.jpg

20160319_090943.jpg

The first picture is of a sour brewed exclusively with stepped up dregs harvested from Don Quijote.

The second picture is of a sour brewed exclusively with stepped up dregs harvested from Isabelle Proximus.

Looking great and smelling and tasting wonderful. I also have batches that are fermenting using Zenne Y Frontera, Cantillon Classic Gueuze, St. Lamvinus, and Fou' Foune. These are the two biggest and most interesting pellicles right now though.

DonQ.jpg

Izzy.jpg

The first picture is of a sour brewed exclusively with stepped up dregs harvested from Don Quijote.

The second picture is of a sour brewed exclusively with stepped up dregs harvested from Isabelle Proximus.

Looking great and smelling and tasting wonderful. I also have batches that are fermenting using Zenne Y Frontera, Cantillon Classic Gueuze, St. Lamvinus, and Fou' Foune. These are the two biggest and most interesting pellicles right now though.

Nice first post. Welcome to the forum.

These are pictures from my "Geuze Project." We brew a new batch of lambic every year, so that eventually we will have 1,2, and 3 year old lambic to blend into Geuze. I am half way there, since we hit the 1.5 year mark! We pulled a few gallons for a framboise, and it was delicious!

View attachment 346502
View attachment 346503

Planning to rack that half empty carboy? Or at least flush with CO2? Lots of head space there.

Is this a pellicle? Doesn't look like it..? My first 100% brett beer (wlp645) finishing up. It's at 1.012 (OG is 1.058) as of 20 minutes ago.

25475604443_d46aefcf01_k.jpg

The other weird thing is I am not tasting any of what I read to expect. I know it's early and brett moves slow, but it's got a crazy belgian flavor going on.

Back