sour smell in empty corny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pickngrin

Reaction score
I went to sanitize a corny this evening to keg my brown ale. This keg ran dry a few weeks ago and I hadn't cleaned it out yet -- it was sitting sealed in my basement. Now there is a strange sour-ish smell (when I asked my wife, she described it as sour, musty) emanating from the keg itself (not the O-rings).
Could this be autolysis? I tried hitting it with some Oxyclean but haven't let it soak for any length of time.
Anyone ever encounter this?

My empty kegs usually smell bad. When I kill 'em I rarely open them until I'm ready to keg another batch. After cleaning and sanitizing they are fine.

If its sour/musty, I'd pull the whole thing apart, replace the o-rings and such and make SURE the whole thing is clean and sanitized. Take it from someone who had a nasty lacto infection in a keg. I threw away a bunch of tubing and rebuilt 5 cornies just to make sure it was gone.

edit: I wound up having to dump two batches of beer because if it as well. Please, think of the beer!

Back