Can't figure it out??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DemonCleaner

Reaction score
I am trying to dial in my new rig and i am having problems with efficiency.I am using a round 10 gal cooler and just got a barley crusher(great tool btw).so here is my problem.My recipe calls for a sg of 1.067 at 75% calculated with beersmith. so, i mash and hit my temps with no prob and take a gravity reading of my first runnings and hit 1.092!!! Good so far(figured i got great efficiency...wrong). I double batch sparge with the grain bed at 168 and take gravity samples from both sparges. I then mixed all 3 samples and end up with 1.050???? I end up with a post boil temp corrected gravity of 1.054.What happened to my wort?? my grain crush is obviously good (could not have hit 1.092 with a crappy crush).What else could it be???it's driving me nuts. This is the third time in a row this happened with the same recipe. Anyone have an idea? Thanks in advance.!

Are you sure you're looking at preboil gravity? Starting gravity would be the gravity of your wort after you boil. If you boil a 1.050 for 90 minutes you would end up pretty close to a 1.070 beer, depending of boil off and things like that.

I am trying to dial in my new rig and i am having problems with efficiency.I am using a round 10 gal cooler and just got a barley crusher(great tool btw).so here is my problem.My recipe calls for a sg of 1.067 at 75% calculated with beersmith. so, i mash and hit my temps with no prob and take a gravity reading of my first runnings and hit 1.092!!! Good so far(figured i got great efficiency...wrong). I double batch sparge with the grain bed at 168 and take gravity samples from both sparges. I then mixed all 3 samples and end up with 1.050???? I end up with a post boil temp corrected gravity of 1.054.What happened to my wort?? my grain crush is obviously good (could not have hit 1.092 with a crappy crush).What else could it be???it's driving me nuts. This is the third time in a row this happened with the same recipe. Anyone have an idea? Thanks in advance.![/QUOTE What was the temp of your post boil gravity sample? I would chill the sample to whatever temp your hydrometer is calibrated to, then check it, I have had some funky readings with my hydro when the temp of the sample was not 60f, it looks like you are converting pretty good, maybe someone else will chime in and give some more tips, good luck on your next brew.:mug:

Your first runnings will be really high gravity even with a crappy crush. Possible you mismeasured the amount of grain? What did the crush look like?

Pre boil was 6.5 gal and post was a little over 5 gal.

The crush looked great! Probably the best yet ,definitely didn't measure wrong.I also used 2 different hydrometers just to be sure.

If you started the boil with 6.5g at 1.050, and ended the boil with 5g, you would have a gravity of 1.065
You have a major problem with either your gravity or volume measurements.

-a.

Latest posts

Back