Pitching onto a two day old yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pherball

Reaction score
Hello, on monday i racked a batch of beer out of my primary leaving the yeast cake (s-04). On wednesday i brewed a dry stout (1.045) and pitched it onto the same cake. Normally, for obvious reasons, i try to repitch the same day; this is the first time i have let one sit. I kept the carboy at 60 degrees between racking and pitching.

I'm curious if anyone else has waited a couple of days, and what their results were. After pitching the new beer last night i woke up to find the airlock filled with muck and a significant portion of trub overflowed around the carboy. I will add that the carboy had at least 6 gallons, which is more than usual for me. This is the first time i have had to attach a blow-off, and given that the gravity of the beer is under 50, i'm afraid that the vigor of the fermentation might be a sign of infection, since the yeat was a little old.

I once transferred my cake into a jug and put it in the fridge for 3-4 days, then let it warm back up to room temperature before using. Worked great. I actually split the cake and used it for two batches brewed on the same day.

Back