Saison Cottage House Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ForumRunner_20130517_224608.jpg
I couldn't resist taking a picture while grilling tonight.

The Danstar packet says .388 oz., I just bought one. They were waiting for a truck to come in at the brew store, so they were missing a few things. They are closed on Mondays and apparently had quite the weekend. I often find myself changing things on the fly, sometimes because something is out of stock and sometimes just because. This should be fun.:mug:

Grain Bill:
8.5lb 2-row
1.5lb american wheat
.5 caramunich
.5 flaked oats
1lb Honey (Local Wildflower @ 100 deg.)

Hops:
1oz Zythos 10%AA
2oz Hallertauer 4.5%AA

1.5tsp. black pepper

Moved this one yesterday to get ready for bottling, around 30 days primary with half being nice and warm. OG was low, 1.048-1.050, but FG came in at an amazing 0.998 for an ABV between 6.5 - 6.8%. Lots of citrus in the sample, grapefruit, orange. The pepper comes through in the finish with the yeast. This is going to be good. :ban:

Here is my partial mash interpretation of this recipe. I'm not sure what ABV to expect. Wyeast 3711's attenuation is supposedly around 80%, but people seem to be getting their FG down to less than 1.005. What type of FG should I expect? I will use a heated blanket to get the temp of the fermentor up. I don't really want a beer higher than 6.5% abv. I was hoping for something around 6%. Also, should I secondary? I had to get red wheat because AHS is currently out of white wheat.

Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 3.5 gallons
Efficiency: 67% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.056
Final Gravity: 1.011
ABV (standard): 5.85%
IBU (tinseth): 30.47
SRM (morey): 5.8

MASH:
2 lb - Belgian - Pilsner
1 lb - German - Red Wheat
1 lb - German - Flaked Spelt
8 oz - German - CaraMunich

FERMENTABLES:
3 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Extra Light - (late addition)
1 lb - Honey - (primary)

HOPS:
0.25 oz - Nelson Sauvin for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
0.5 oz - Crystal for 15 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
0.25 oz - Nelson Sauvin for 15 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
0.5 oz - Crystal for 5 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
0.25 oz - Nelson Sauvin for 5 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil

MASH STEPS:
1) Infusion, Temp: 152 F, Time: 90 min, Amount: 6.5 qt

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 tsp - Black Pepper, Time: 5 min, Type: Spice, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Wyeast - French Saison 3711

shouldn't the wort be boiled for 90 minutes because that it has pilsner malt in the mash?
or because it's a saison the DMS is desirable?

Brewday went great! Second AG, but seems like good efficiency (Not sure on the specifics, but came out with about 8g wort from a slightly raised grain bill at 1.030, and just before pitching yeast, with honey all added and boiled down to 5.5g, it hit the mark at 1.050). A few hours later it was bubbling away. I noticed that while cooling and transferring to the fermenter, the wort was very dark on top although it was a nice golden color while boiling - I'm wondering if this is due to the pepper or what - seemed a bit strange, but I'm not too worried, it looked and smelled great!

Brewed this 2 1/2 weeks ago, kegged yesterday and force carbed it today... I had to use Belle Saison yeast since the HBS didn't have 3711. The Belle yeast gave it a nice peppery taste, (could be that I fermented at ~80 degrees)
I also didn't use any pepper, but did every thing else the same.
Thanks for the recipe, I will definately do this one again.

I just got done brewing this and realized I forgot the oats. How important do you think it is to the mouthfeel. I know it's only a half oz , but I'm worried it will be to thin or watery.

I just got done brewing this and realized I forgot the oats. How important do you think it is to the mouthfeel. I know it's only a half oz , but I'm worried it will be to thin or watery.

I wouldn't worry about it. 3711 is known for it's surprisingly silky mouthfeel so it isn't just up to the oats.

Edit: it's half a pound not ounce. That was probably just a typo.

Hey everyone,

I made essentially this beer recently, and it's been in bottles for just about three weeks. Should I crack some open, or does it improve significantly after a few more weeks of conditioning?

Hey everyone,

I made essentially this beer recently, and it's been in bottles for just about three weeks. Should I crack some open, or does it improve significantly after a few more weeks of conditioning?

Try a bottle, and see what you think, I prefer mine young and fresh like a hefe, but it is also damned fine with some age on it as well, maybe set aside a few bottles for longer aging, brew another batch and enjoy your first batch young.

Then sample an older bottle to see if you want to lay down your second batch for a while before cracking into it.

Why thank you! I'm in carol stream for the moment, looking for a house to get into out here

I'm just east of you in Villa Park... tiny village in between Lombard and Elmhurst. My neighbor abandoned his house earlier this year... you could probably just take that one... :p

Seriously, though, if you're unfamiliar with the area and need any tips/advice, just give me a shout!

I'm just east of you in Villa Park... tiny village in between Lombard and Elmhurst. My neighbor abandoned his house earlier this year... you could probably just take that one... :p

Seriously, though, if you're unfamiliar with the area and need any tips/advice, just give me a shout!

Born and raised here, 27 years in Schaumburg, then moved to phoenix in '98

AZscoob,

I'm going to try this for my first all grain batch. You recommend doing to sparges. Does that mean for each sparge you should be doing 1/2 of the 3.5 gallon sparge volume?

Thanks

AZscoob,

I'm going to try this for my first all grain batch. You recommend doing to sparges. Does that mean for each sparge you should be doing 1/2 of the 3.5 gallon sparge volume?

Thanks

Correct, I split my sparge volume in half and do two separate sparges.

I do this on all my beers, I get great efficiency doing it that way.

Brewed this over the weekend with some small changes: all Willamette hops and zest from 1 lemon in the last 5 minutes. Efficiency was good and ended up high on the OG - 1.068. Really excited to see how this one turns out! Thanks for the recipe. :mug:

Brewed this over the weekend with some small changes: all Willamette hops and zest from 1 lemon in the last 5 minutes. Efficiency was good and ended up high on the OG - 1.068. Really excited to see how this one turns out! Thanks for the recipe. :mug:

I too brew it over the weekend - did a 10 gallons batch but changed the recipe a bit

• 16 Bonlander Munich (Briess)
  • 3 White Wheat (Rahr)
  • 1 Golden Naked Oats (Simpson's)
  • 1 CaraMunich® III (Weyermann®)
German Tettnang Pellet Hops instead of the Fulges
Japanese Sorachi Ace Pellet Hops

The color is more like amber at this point, I was expecting it more dark yellow, maybe will brighten up.

Anyhow I think BeerSmith screw me up a bit on the batch sparge it required 9 galons ending up wit almost 14+ gals pre boil making me boil for 90 minus - I ended up at 1.050+ :( but must be because I'm at 11.5 gals post boil.

Oh well... I am sure will turn nice, session saison :)

I just checked Bonlander Munich has the color at 10 that explains why it will be an Amber Saison :)

Very excited to brew this one on Friday. Going to get the yeast started tonight. Thanks for the recipe.

I brewed an extract version 2 weeks ago, this yeast is a beast, fermented to 1.002 in like 3 days.
It was very cloudy, now it's starting to clear up. I should bottle it next week.

Brewed this up this morning. My efficiency came in at 69% which is really off for me. I'm consistently between 75-80%. I noticed several other posters coming in low as well. Maybe it has something to do with the milling of the wheat at the same gap as the barley?

This wort smelled incredible with the pepper and honey in it. I'm really looking forward to this one.

Almost one year later to the day, I am excited to make this again! Mashing right at target temp right now!

I want to thank the OP for this recipe... I won my first competition with this recipe! I changed it a little, I did not use the ground pepper, used a local clover honey, and changed to Belle Saison for the yeast.
This beer not only won the category, it also won Best of Show!!

Supergus said:
I want to thank the OP for this recipe... I won my first competition with this recipe! I changed it a little, I did not use the ground pepper, used a local clover honey, and changed to Belle Saison for the yeast.

I'm making this with the belle saison yeast also. Fermenting at 90-95. Samples taste awesome. Wondering what your FG ended up at. My OG was 1.065 down to 1.009 after a week. Hoping it goes lower as it tasted a little sweet.

Congrats on that!

Glad that I could provide the base recipe that got you the gold!

Brewed this 2 weeks ago with a few modifications: Willamette instad of Fuggles and WLP565 yeast.

Stole a sample for hydrometer testing yesterday. Holy Damn! This may very well be one of the best beers I've ever brewed. I can't wait to keg this.

Thank you for the recipe.

Hi from England first post Joined so I could say thanks for the great recipe and thread.

I have had a go at this with minor tweaks to incorporate stuff I had to hand
used goldings for bittering and Sazz for aroma
yeast was the Belle Saison and took my OG 1070 down to 1002 its now sitting in a cool dark place waiting to go in a cornie keg

Brewed this 2 weeks ago with a few modifications: Willamette instad of Fuggles and WLP565 yeast.

Stole a sample for hydrometer testing yesterday. Holy Damn! This may very well be one of the best beers I've ever brewed. I can't wait to keg this.

Thank you for the recipe.

It is good isn't it?

I really should keep this beer on tap year round, or at least try bottling up a few batches to set aside for "emergency" use!

Back