interplant with rhubarb?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lou2row

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have rhubarb growing alongside my shed. It would be the best place for my hop rhizomes. Will they coexist? Has anyone did the same?

Haven't done it, but I'm an avid gardener and it sounds like a good idea. If thats the best place (light, soil, etc) go for it.

The hops should grow up and out of the way of the rhubarb, while the rhubarb will spread its broad leaves out and help to shade any weeds out and keep the soil shaded conserving moisture. Think three sisters (climbing beans, corn, squash).

They're both weeds and should grow like the dickens provided you neglect, mistreat, and generally try to kill them.

I've looked at a lot of companion planting options for hops with an eye to insect control and biodiversity, but this is not a combination I would have ever picked out. :mug:

I can't think of a good reason to avoid the combination in terms of being compatible.

Is there any documentation about what can coexist with Hops and what can't?

I would like to use some of the available real estate in my hops beds for growing veggies, but have thus far been unable to find any information on what is okay to do and what not...

I have hops that sent out rhizomes that came up right in the middle of my rhubarb. No problem. They grew fine all tangled together until the hops finally covered the rhubarb middle last summer. It was a pain to harvest the rhubarb, but otherwise OK.

Is there any documentation about what can coexist with Hops and what can't?

I would like to use some of the available real estate in my hops beds for growing veggies, but have thus far been unable to find any information on what is okay to do and what not...

Any legume crop will do well, in my experience. I also grow potatoes in vertical boxes between crowns. Not had any issues with zucchini, peas, beans, cukes, peppers, tomatoes, tomatillos, edamame, eggplant, broccoli, and brussel sprouts.

Only thing to really watch out for would be some crops that really attract a lot of pests that could make their way to your hops quickly/easily. Oh, and stray bines CAN choke a plant. :D

Thanks for the info guys! I will set up a few with the rhubarb, and some of the others I will build a trellis over a section of garden.

If there was a variety of hops called 'wayne brady', you could say, "Is wayne brady gonna have to choke a plant"

I have nothing to add other than this helpful piece of advice: Never rub another man's rhubarb.

I've always found rhubarb to do better with a bit of shade and hops can't seem to get enough sun. Other than that, there seems to be no conflicts between the two. Hops do have a rather invasive root structure so if forgotten about for 10 years they may chock out the rhubarb, but I don't think you plan to leave your garden to Darwinism.
I planted a big bed of lettuce in the shade of my hops last year. That worked quite well.

Back