Lager yeast at ale temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jldc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just brewed a AHS 1554 clone. 1554 is "enlightened black ale" from New Belgium Brewing.

Anyway after I finished, I looked more closely at the liquid yeast vial and it is a lager yeast - Southern German Lager Yeast. Per the website it's best at less than 55 degrees.

I don't have anywhere to store the carboy at that temps. The room where it is located is pretty constant at 68 or just a little less if we get a cold snap. It won't ever be less than 60.

I'm committed now, the blowoff is bubbling nicely, everything looks ok. I'm going to have to just wait and see, but now I'm worried. FWIW the instrucions from AHS, which are pretty detailed, don't say anything about lower frementaion temps.

How big a problem am I likely to have?

yep, that's actually a decent yeast for making a california common.

If you didn't know, California Common is a style of beer that uses lager yeast at ale temperatures. Don't know if I've ever tried one, but I've heard good things about them.

one of my favorite styles. "Anchor Steam" is the trademark california common and i've tried a couple of others, but can't really comment on them.

most of the ones i've drank have been my own and friends homebrews.

Here are the BJCP Guidelines.

i've always wanted to make a dark steam. let us know how it turns out.

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't really too worried - I mean what can I do now.

Anyway it's fermenting like crazy. The krausen is almost to the blowoff tube at almost 24 hrs. I guess my thread about my yeast starter not working was premature, too.

I'm not going to post any more "Is my beer OK?" threads, at least for this batch.

Back