Buying Bulk Extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvgriffis

Reaction score
So I'm about done using boxed recipes from the local homebrew store, particularly since the first good harvest of the family hops are drying in the barn.

I'm still a total n00b, still planning on extract brewing for a while... but I need the extract. The question(s): Should I buy in bulk so I'd have enough for 10 batches, knowing that'll last me until next summer? Should I buy all dry or liquid? Will it keep?? I was thinking to buy a 50lb light DME bag, or somewhere around that much liquid.

:mug: Cheers, gentlemen, and thanks for helping with the RDW part while I learn the ropes of HAHB...

If I was buying in bulk, I'd buy DME. LME is harder to keep "fresh", I think. A 55# bag of light DME would work for every beer you'd want to make, and you could just buy specialty grains as you need them. You could be some larger quantities of common specialty grains, if you have a mill or a way to crush them when you need them.

You could probably store DME in a new rubbermaid trash can.

Buying DME or LME in bulk can save some money provided you have a place to store it. DME will last a long time if you keep it well sealed in a cool, dry, location. A year would probably be OK. LME needs more care. Best place is sealed in the the Frig and make sure you don't contaminate it when making each individual brew. I have never kept it around for a year. I am sure someone else will chime in.

P

Muntons Bulk LME usually comes in 33Lb jerry packs, 176Lb mini drums, and 655Lb drums. I would guess that the mini-drum is close to 20 gallons.

Coopers bulk DME comes in a 44 Lb box

Muntons bulk DME comes in a 55Lb box.

If you go the LME route you could always pre measure it out into ziploc bags and freeze it. That would prevent mold from occurring. The larger home brew shops that dispense bulk LME from a drum usually run low pressure nitrogen into the drum to prevent infection, so if you don't want to freeze it you might think about something like that.

All-in-all dry extract is a lot easier to store.

LOL! You will plan on how much you will need, but when you actually have the ingredients sitting there, you will be brewing more often. Plan to run out before you planned to!

STOP! Do not buy it! I was considerering buying bulk malt extract because i would be an extract brewer for a while, right? WRONG! I will be brewing AG soon after 3 extract brews: 1 an AHS kit, and the other 2 my own recipes.

Back