Scored free keg today! Not what i expected...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lordura

Reaction score
A friend of mine gave me a keg today that was left at his house after a party. He told me it was a 5 gallon corny keg but it turned out to be a 7 gallon miller keg. Is there anything i can do with it? I brew on the stove so brewing in it is out of the question. Can i keg my beer into it? is there any way to clean it?

Thanks,
Jeff

keg.jpg

there is a retaining ring that can easily be removed. than rinse sanitize and refill with your own brew

do a search on how to keg beer. you'll need some equiptment but i assure you IT WILL BE WORTH THE EFFORT!!!!!!!

from the looks of the work/price to get it done, i might just try to see if someone would trade for maybe a carboy or something. i'd like to keg but i'd rather brew. thanks for the help everyone.

Thats a perfect size to ferment a 5-6 gallon batch in. Just make sure its cleaned/sanitized like any other fermenter

Someone's got to do it and it might as well be me.
This keg belongs to Miller brewing. Just because your friend gave it to you doesn't make it yours. Now, Miller will never know that you have it so do what you think is the right thing.
If it were me, I would give it back to the liquor store where it was purchased.

The above mentioned would be the right thing to do especially if you have no use for it. And you can get some beer or brewing stuff with the deposit.

The problem is he doesn't know who brought it to his house... it's a party house. a lot of people pass through. I would love to take it and get the deposit, there is a lot of gear i need, but i dont know how to find out. Any ideas?

Find a place that sells that beer in those kegs, take it back and get the deposit on it and spend that money on homebrew stuff. It's the right thing to do.

You can find keggles on Craigslist all the time.

Even if you can't find the original selling store, you can still hand it over to them and they will get it back to the distributor. I'm not sure if you will still get the deposit, but at least you did the right thing. Just consider it a deposit in the Kharma bank. If you don't have any luck with that, just look-up your local Miller Distributor and give them a call.

My neighbors grandfather passed away 6 years ago, his son and family moved in after years of remodeling plus removing years of a ivy covered back yard and fence. In the ivy fence was three 15.5 gallon kegs made by the Jack Daniels Brewery, Lynchburg TN.
That brewery opened in 1994, closed in 1997. I'm keeping these free kegs. "Dirty scrap yards" will offer .70 cents a pound vs most will not touch any kegs even if they are in cut up pieces. Scrap 304 SS in a "clean scrap yard" will pay .80 cent a pound, any 304 ss but no kegs.
I have one 15.5 gallon Firestone keg that is odd vs my other 15.5 Anheuser Bush kegs, any one up to a direct swap for a Anheuser Bush keg in the S.F. bay area?

I have a Bush keg I'd be willing to trade for. PM me a pic of the Firestone keg and I'll see if I feel like trading.

Back