Ready for Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerthoven

Reaction score
My first sweet mead [Thread=50201](Malkore's (not so) Ancient Orange Mead)[/thread] has been in the primary for 30 days.

SG = 1.017 (OG = 1.104). I used Wyeast 4184 Sweet Mead. Is this ready for secondary?

It's very clear in the sample tube, but there is still a lot of gunk floating about in the carboy. I'm just not sure how clear it should be before racking.

It tastes wonderful. A lot of alcohol but sweeter than I expected. Even SWMBO liked it.

Mead_1.jpg

Mead_2.jpg

That looks ok....I don't recall that you are supposed to rack JOAM.

My first batch went well, but #2 and #3 have had to be racked because I stirred up so much of the GUNK that's in there. They are in secondaries now....and the first batch has a pretty small amount of sediment considering what it came from. Mine gives new meaning to the word "Pithy", so I am looking forward to trying it at Christmas.

That looks ok....I don't recall that you are supposed to rack JOAM. ...

Thanks. I didn't make JAOM; I made Malkore's updated version of it using Wyeast 4184 Sweet Mead in place of bread yeast.

If I secondary, it will be in a 5-gallon Better Bottle. Anybody have any problems with that?

I went ahead and racked my sweet mead last night (5/8). I have a little over 2 gallons of mead in a 5 gallon Better Bottle. I'm planning on letting it sit until it's clear and then bottling. Maybe this will take 3 months or so, I don't know, but I'm in no hurry. It's safely tucked out of the way in a closet.

I received Schramm's "The Complete Mead Maker" for my birthday, and I plan on reading it before I make my next batch. I'd really like to try a Cyser this fall after the apple harvest, and maybe a dry mead as well.

I received Schramm's "The Complete Mead Maker" for my birthday
Lucky You!
What a great resource....I made the mistake of thinking it was a so-so book after having flipped through not more than the recipe section....Not a fair assessment.
When I win the Lotto....I'm getting that book for everyone who has ever posted to the mead forum.

Sorry, i've been stupid busy lately and out of town a bit.

Yeah i'd say its definitely ready to rack. Remember Joe's original recipe is meant to be stupid-simple with easy to obtain ingredients. ultra beginner recipe. Mine is just a revision really with better yeast and i did rack mine just to help with clarity and reducing yeast sediment in the bottle.

I did 1 month primary, 1 month secondary, then bottled in 12oz amber bottles. It was pretty drinkable at bottling, but my experience with that yeast says after a couple more months it'll be at peak flavor.

Latest posts

Back