Malto-Dextrin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsalot

Reaction score
My LHBS is a bit on the crappy side. I needed priming sugar and they had none, i saw a bag what looked like priming sugar but it was malto dextrin. I decided what the heck and bought it for $2.00. I was reading about it and I didnt come across any sort of priming info just a mouthfeel additive. I want to use corn syrup I can buy at he store, I have never used it before. Can I just boil down 3/4 cup corn sugar in a couple cups of water to prime?

maltodextrin is mostly non-fermentable and not sweet so it's pretty useless for priming. that's why you see it mentioned being added for mouthfeel, the long chain sugars create body with out adding sweetness. you can use corn syrup but 3/4c syrup doesn't have the same sugar content as 3/4 cup dry. try searching for "corn syrup" + priming, maybe someone figured out the ratio. another thing you can do is make invert sugar from your household white cane sugar. add your 3/4c sugar to 2c water and add about a tablespoon of lemon juice (or citric acid if you have it, at 1g/kg of sugar). mix these in a pot on the stove on med heat and allow to boil softly for 20-30 minutes. you've just turned pretty fermentable sucrose into REALLY fermentable glucose and fructose. check out wikipedia for all the science. this syrup will have the right amount of nearly 100% sugar so you won't get any weird flavors from the sugar. good luck.

Don't use malto-dextrin for priming. It won't ferment and it won't carbonate your beer.

Another great alternative is to just buy some DME. About 6 oz (by weight) of DME in 5 gallons will do it.

Cheers!
Brad

For priming you can also use Sugar in the Raw.. I have pretty much quit using corn sugar in most of my beers.

Either use some DME or go to the Toddy Shoppe (I hate that place...) and pick up a pound of corn sugar for $0.99. They have it in a big tub and I bet no one has ever freakin bought it.....ever.

Back