Batch Sparge PH question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

korndog

Reaction score
Batch Spargers
How important is it to treat your sparge water? I use 5.2 in my mash, but have heard of people using lactic acid in their sparge water. I have not been doing this.

Thanks
KD

I've just been using the pH stabilizer in the mash, and that's worked fine. No tannin extraction that I can perceive. The issue with pH and sparging is much more critical with a fly sparge (one of the main reasons I have stuck to batch sparging for now).

korndog said:
Batch Spargers
How important is it to treat your sparge water? I use 5.2 in my mash, but have heard of people using lactic acid in their sparge water. I have not been doing this.

Thanks
KD

I use the 5.2 PH stabilizer in the mash. My beers are coming out much better tasting. But despite the fact I use the stabilizer, my last 2 batches were "Grain Husk Ale". I think its do to the fact I always sparge with too much water to get every bit of sugar out of the grain. If I followed the directions in Beer Smith I would probably have good tasting beer and not "Grain Husk Ale"

I think you can use the 5.2 Stabilizer in the sparge water. But how much would you add? The directions are for only adding it to the mash.

I just recently purchased some Lactic acid to put in my sparge water. Ill tell you how it worked out.

I use pH5.2 in sparge water as well as the mash. I sparge hot (170-180F) and haven't had any tannin problems.

How much do you add to your mash? I thought I read somewhere that the directions are a little cryptic.

stever said:
How much do you add to your mash? I thought I read somewhere that the directions are a little cryptic.

Says to add 1 Tbsp. per 5 gal. of wort leaving kettle.

I was just reading that the manufacturer claims there is enough residual buffering power to obviate the need for any additional dosage to sparge or other infusions.

I would only worry about acidifying your sparge water if you are fly sparging and working on a very pale beer. Otherwise, the 5.2 and the darker grains should keep your pH within range. The only other problem would be if the pH of your water were abnormally high.

Hi korndog

I use citric acid to bring both my mash and sparge water down to 5.8 or 6.0 depending on what grain I am using. I let the grain bring it down the rest. I have really good luck hitting my final ph this way.

foppa78 said:
Hi korndog

I use citric acid to bring both my mash and sparge water down to 5.8 or 6.0 depending on what grain I am using. I let the grain bring it down the rest. I have really good luck hitting my final ph this way.

Thanks Foppa. I had been using lactic acid in the mash water prior to switching to 5.2. I guess there are many ways to skin this cat. I think I will omit the adjustments to the sparge water for now while using the 5.2.

Best
KD

No problem KD. Let me know how the 5.2 is going. Maybe I will switch if you are having luck with it. Are you taking readings with a ph meter?

You guys should check your PH of the mash using PH test strips (just the liquid). Then you will know if you need the stabilizer at all. It's crazy to put it in if not needed. I have the test strips and the Star Chemicals stabilizer and do not need it as my PH has been fine.

WBC said:
You guys should check your PH of the mash using PH test strips (just the liquid). Then you will know if you need the stabilizer at all. It's crazy to put it in if not needed. I have the test strips and the Star Chemicals stabilizer and do not need it as my PH has been fine.

I have a digital ph meeter and take lots of readings. The water ph around here is high.

Your grain affects the PH so add strike water and stabilize the temp and then stir again just before testing the PH. If it is still high then add the stabilizer and stir well. You do not need stabilizer in the sparge water because the conversion was already completed in the mash tun. You are now just rinsing the sugar from the grain when sparging and there is no point to using stabilizer in the sparge.

TexLaw said:
I start with RO water and build it up. I do trust in chemistry, but I like insurance.

TL

Where do you get your RO water? Our local fish store has it but my mind says.. water from a fish store to brew beer?!?!?

stever said:
Where do you get your RO water? Our local fish store has it but my mind says.. water from a fish store to brew beer?!?!?

We makeour own. There are portable models that deliver about 75-90 gallons per day for about $200.00. Faster models are very expensive.

ro-ctop-cropped-websize.jpg

Back