First time lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gusmedic

Reaction score
I'm planning on getting a Brewers best German Oktoberfest kit for my first go at a lager. I made a fermentation chamber for temp control. I've read so much about temps and how for long that it's got me pretty confused. Do I need to move to a secondary during this? What is a good schedule to lager with? The kit says ferment at 53-59 for 2 weeks and then transfer to a secondary and lower 1-3 degrees a day until i reach 35-42 and hold that temp for 3-4 weeks.

I'm planning on getting a Brewers best German Oktoberfest kit for my first go at a lager. I made a fermentation chamber for temp control. I've read so much about temps and how for long that it's got me pretty confused. Do I need to move to a secondary during this? What is a good schedule to lager with? The kit says ferment at 53-59 for 2 weeks and then transfer to a secondary and lower 1-3 degrees a day until i reach 35-42 and hold that temp for 3-4 weeks.

I ferment at 50 degrees for about 10 days, or until the beer is about 75% finished, then raise the temperature to 60 for about 48 hours, until done. That is the diacetyl rest. One tip- pitch enough yeast by making a large starter well in advance, or use more than one package of dry yeast if you are using dry yeast.

After that, I rack to a new carboy and lager at 34 degrees for one week for every 8-10 points of OG. In other words, for a 1.060 lager, I'd hold it at 34 degrees for 6-8 weeks.

You don't have to lower the temperature slowly, since the yeast will be finished when you lager.

I always use a secondary when making lagers, as they are "crisp" and "clean" and without yeast character.

I like lagering at the colder end, at 34 degrees, for a bit longer as it makes the "crispest" feeling lager to me. You can lager for a shorter period of time at a higher temperature (beer ages faster at warmer temperatures) but I think it loses some of that clean crisp mouthfeel.

If you're going to be doing it for that long, you will probably want to move it to a secondary at some point. When it stays in the primary for too long -- after fermentation has stopped -- it will start developing bad flavors from the trub breaking down fatty acids.

Back