Diversol oops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgcant

Reaction score
I can't believe I just did this. This is the day to keg my very first all grain batch!! Well between the baby crying and trying to rack at the same time. I realized that I forget to rinse the keg after it had sat in the diversol solution! @#$%!! I quickly sanitized and this time rinsed a new keg and transfered the beer into that one. The beer was maybe in the keg for no longer than 10 minutes. Is the batch ruined? Is it even safe to drink? Thanks guys

Sparkle Brite – (available in Canada, also called Diversol). Sparkle Brite is a cleaner that contains TSP (Tri-sodium-phosphate) and potassium bromide. This is a corrosive chemical that requires great care when using. While it works well, there are other chemicals that are easier to use, less dangerous to use, and more environmentally friendly. Use at a rate of 1 teaspoon per liter of water for cleaning.
Source http://webtrolley.org/mivastore/mer...rBrewandWine&Product_Code=9173&Category_Code=

Diversol BX/A is a highly soluble, mixed halogen powder that has a multitude of cleaning and sanitizing applications in all hospitality, food service and health care operations. It can be used as a sanitizer following normal washing procedures or as a cleaner for such diverse applications as food preparation equipment, refrigerators, meat blocks, stained teapots and cups, milkshake machines, tubs, sinks and garbage cans.

*Key Properties
-highly soluble, mixed halogen (chlorine and bromine), pink powder
-significantly faster speed of kill than other chlorinated trisodium phosphate products
-exhibits excellent cleaning and destaining capabilities
-formulated with surfactant to enhance soil penetration and rinsability
-approved as no-rinse sanitizer for food contact surfaces
-minimum available chlorine 3.25% when packaged

[...]
[...]

Sanitizing: All previously cleaned and rinsed food contact equipment and surfaces can be sanitized using a 3g/l (100-ppm available chlorine) solution applied by soak, spray or circulation methods. A final rinse is not required below a use level of 200 ppm.
Cleaning: To clean equipment, surfaces, floors, waste cans etc, use a solution containing 6 – 18 g/l depending on soil load. Soak, spray or brush as appropriate to the item or surface being cleaned. Rinse well and allow to air dry.

Source: http://www.westheat.com/Diversol.html

I have no idea. It think it prefereable to dry, but it is no-rinse.
I'd be inclined to use starsan or iodaphor because of this.

I used 2 tbsp for 20l of hot water and given there's 3 grams is a tsp that would mean I used a total of 18 grams for liters which is a concentration of 0.9 grams per liter. Not sure what to do. Like I said this is my very first all grain I tasted it and it tasted great..no funny after taste but then again I don't what to poison myself. I believe I'll have to cry if I have to pour it out.. but what a lesson!! I will never do that again!:drunk:

rgcant said:
I used 2 tbsp for 20l of hot water and given there's 3 grams is a tsp that would mean I used a total of 18 grams for liters which is a concentration of 0.9 grams per liter. Not sure what to do. Like I said this is my very first all grain I tasted it and it tasted great..no funny after taste but then again I don't what to poison myself. I believe I'll have to cry if I have to pour it out.. but what a lesson!! I will never do that again!:drunk:

Was there still liquid sitting in your keg or had you drained it before you started filling it?

I had drained all the liquid out. I gave the keg a good shake and I had primed the siphon with sterile water

Back