Pre boil protein removal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billingsbrew

Reaction score
When I am boiling my wort, just before it begins to boil, I start to skim off some of the forming proteins with a slotted spoon. I do this until boiling starts and stop just before I make my first hop addition. Dose this help, hurt or make any difference to the finnal product?

IMHO, I like the proteins, I think the yeast like the proteins. IMHO I think it hurts. I don't know the difference in final product. When you get to the protein break, lower the heat and take it nice'n slow till the protein drops.

IMHO, I like the proteins, I think the yeast like the proteins. IMHO I think it hurts. I don't know the difference in final product. When you get to the protein break, lower the heat and take it nice'n slow till the protein drops.

And stir, in both directions. I used to skim but to no advantage. Just watch it like a hawk. I stir and break up the foam and if I see it starting to foam over I cut the heat. I keep an eye on it for the first 7 minutes of boil. I may even delay the 1st hop addition till it is under control and then start my timer.

I skim. There's no reason to leave the protein in the beer. Once it's coagulated it's useless. Just like you can't unscramble an egg the protein can't go back into solution and there's more than enough trub for the yeast without leaving the break. Plus getting it out means there's less in the kettle and more clear wort in the fermenter. Never noticed a final quality impact, except for less blow off and cleaner yeast for repitching. Really just personal preferences though.

Oh well, I'll just keep skimming along. It gives me something to do while I wait for the boil to begin and as you say theres still plenty of protein left even if I do.

Back