Re-racked

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luda007

Reaction score
image-903112076.jpg

I re-racked this on Saturday and I already have later at the bottom. It is clearish towards the top, about an inch down.
Did I transfer some sediment from my primary fermenter or is this normal?

I believe its just more sediment settling down. Pretty normal with my experiences. How long was your primary?

Normal in my experience when bottling if it's not already crystal clear. I'm still looking for some sort of filter on the intake side of my siphon to help with clearing.

I followed the direction in the recipe I found. Note: found it before I found this place.
I fermented for 2 weeks. It had pretty much died down.

I was thinking about putting a coffee filter around the end of my syphon and hold it on with a rubber banks?

I followed the direction in the recipe I found. Note: found it before I found this place.

I was thinking about putting a coffee filter around the end of my syphon and hold it on with a rubber banks?

After 2 weeks in the primary, this racking to the secondary is typical sight.

Just let it be and it will settle down. If you are truely woried about it then mix in some hotmix sparkloid and give it a month. That should clear this up..By the looks of it it is pretty.

Matrix

Thank you all for the help.
Mead is very exciting!
I just want to keep making it!

1 gallon jugs are your friend and enemy there. They're great for making different batches cheaply and always having something to play with. The down side is if you make a really great batch you've only got a gallon.

No! don't use a coffee filter or anything else. Just wait at least 60 days, and then rack again if the lees are 1/4" thick. They won't be- so don't worry!

It's clearing nicely, and will clear from the top down. The lees will compact down a bit so when you do rack again in a few months, you can simply rack above the sediment without any problems.

Thanks yooper.
I checked it again today. It has cleared even more!

I have another question.

I have a 5 gallon batch of blueberry mead that is ready to re-rack.
Is there a difference between racking it to another 5 gallon container or 5-1 gallon containers?

There will be different opinions about this but here's my take.

Racking tends to waste a bit of liquid at the bottom each time. If you put the mead in 5 1gal jugs and have to rack a 3rd time in the future you will probably loose more mead than you would have if you'd have used one 5 gallon carboy.

However, splitting the mead up will allow you to make slight modifications to each jug for experimental purposes. You could practice oaking your meads or adding more/different fruits to tune your recipe a bit.

There's benefits and drawbacks to each option. Are you considering this because you don't have a second 5 gal carboy to rack to ?

Thank you for the advice! Its a situation ill have to think about....
I will have a Carboy available but it's current occupant is still bubbling away. It should have slowed as of yesterday.
I did jump the gun on my blueberry though.
I'm new to the whole process of mead/beer making. I have been keeping notes and all, I just confused myself. Lol I have 8 projects going as of the 7th.
I have the blueberry going now and according to my recipe i am supposed to wait another 2 weeks still. Then add some more fruit and honey.

I just thought, hey, maybe I can rack to smaller containers.
I still have 4- 1gallon carboys as well.

image-2679601471.jpg

A month later it is clear!
Very cool!
Now....
What's next? Let it sit even longer? Re-rack? Bottle?

Latest posts

Back