Biere de Garde yeast is a beast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biere_Titan

Reaction score
I brewed a clone of Jenlain’s Beire de Garde using Wyeat 3725 Biere de Garde. After two weeks in primary and a week in secondary the airlock is still bubbling away every 20 seconds or so. I’ve never used the yeast before but am surprised that it’s still so active. The carboy is sitting in my basement (no swamp cooler in use) where the temps have been running 75-77 degrees.

Does anyone have any experience with this yeast? It’s said to generate low to moderate ester production with subtle spiciness. What does ester production result in taste-wise? Also, the Wyeast website indicates that it’s a top-fermenting yeast. What does that mean? Thanks.

I've used that yeast a few times and really like it too. As for ester production, it all depends upon your fermentation temps. Mine are about 5 degrees lower than yours and I like the results. Top fermenting is an ale, meaning that, usually, the yeast will do its business on the top of the carboy instead of the bottom, like a lager.

Latest posts

Back