Unexplained loss of C02!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATXweirdobrew

Reaction score
So I have a C02 tank with just a simple regulator to carbonate my kegged beer in a seperate refrigerator so when I am ready for a new keg of beer it is already carbonated. I just started using this system and I have checked for leaks on at least 3 seperate occasions using soapy water. The first tank went from 800 to nothing in two days. I put a fresh tank on the system at 800 last night and it is already at 600 right now. I am at my wits end seeing how I can not find a leak anywhere in the system. Anybody have any thoughts that might cure my frustrations?

Have you tried removing all the threaded connections and retaping them?

If you're chilling the co2 tank, the psi in the tank will drop.
It doesn't explain the tank emptying in two days (probably a leaky line ), but that does explain your current symptom.

Yea, make sure your tank is all the way open and keep in mind that everything shrinks in the fridge. So an hour or two after first putting your tank in the fridge, go back in to retighten all your connections and check for leaks.

The tank is all the way open and I checked all places where I could have possible leaks after it had been sitting in the fridge for a couple of days.

Fill up your tub and put everything in it. Best way to find a leak

How many kegs are hooked up? I think there's a lot more than can go wrong with used, beat-up kegs than with the tank/regulator.

How many kegs are hooked up? I think there's a lot more than can go wrong with used, beat-up kegs than with the tank/regulator.

Has a good point. I had a 20 lb drain in two weeks and came to find out I had a bad pressure relief valve on a keg that I haven't used in while.

I had two issues recently.

1) sticky poppet on the gas in post
2) incorrectly installed gasket on the liquid disconnect

Back