First Altbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I know the grain bill is pretty decent and the yeast is spot on, I was unsure about the hops. This is my first altbier and want to be sure it's decent. Any help is appreciated.

12 gallon Batch
13 pounds Pale Malt
4 pounds Vienna malt
4 pounds munich malt
1.5 pounds Caramunich Malt
6 oz chocolate malt
.80 oz Columbus at 90
4 oz liberty at 30
Mash at 154
WY1007 at 58 degrees
OG = 1.052
FG = 1.014
IBU = 36..ish
SRM = 14ish

This is from my Alt recipe and works great.
It is the same around 36.5 IBU.

1.5 oz Mt Hood 6% 60 min.
.5 oz Mt Hood 6% 30 min.
1 oz Saaz 4% 5 min.

5.75 gal. 75 min boil.

This is from my Alt recipe and works great.
It is the same around 36.5 IBU.

1.5 oz Mt Hood 6% 60 min.
.5 oz Mt Hood 6% 30 min.
1 oz Saaz 4% 5 min.

5.75 gal. 75 min boil.

So many recipes I see have hops early in the boil and at 30 minutes. Do ou find the finishing hops add much to the beer? I have some columbia and liberty around that I could toss in at the end of the boil

So many recipes I see have hops early in the boil and at 30 minutes. Do ou find the finishing hops add much to the beer? I have some columbia and liberty around that I could toss in at the end of the boil

Columbus is pretty out of style for an Alt. Might make good beer but I would stick with all german or noble-like hops on my first attempt. Liberty should be a good choice here.

Columbus is pretty out of style for an Alt. Might make good beer but I would stick with all german or noble-like hops on my first attempt. Liberty should be a good choice here.

I figured at 90 minutes the bittering addition wouldn't matter that much. I suppose I could go all liberty all the way through.

I figured at 90 minutes the bittering addition wouldn't matter that much. I suppose I could go all liberty all the way through.

I'm sure it would be ok at 90. Maybe even go 50/50 on the 2 for your 90 minute? I have always like Columbus but it has a unique flavor that I think(heh...) I can taste even in a bittering addition.

Columbus is pretty neutral, but it's harsher than larger amounts of noble hops would be.

The bittering of noble hops I would call "fine". Very crisp and not harsh. It's nothing like the bittering you'd get from columbus.

You want a medium bitterness, clean and crisp. I'd use noble hops instead of liberty if you could find them. I used tettnang and spalter in my last couple of alts, only as bittering with no flavor/aroma additions. If you don't have any noble hops, liberty would be an ok sub.

Columbus is pretty neutral, but it's harsher than larger amounts of noble hops would be.

The bittering of noble hops I would call "fine". Very crisp and not harsh. It's nothing like the bittering you'd get from columbus.

You want a medium bitterness, clean and crisp. I'd use noble hops instead of liberty if you could find them. I used tettnang and spalter in my last couple of alts, only as bittering with no flavor/aroma additions.

I will go procure some noble hops as I don't want to screw this beer up!

You want a medium bitterness, clean and crisp. I'd use noble hops instead of liberty if you could find them. I used tettnang and spalter in my last couple of alts, only as bittering with no flavor/aroma additions. If you don't have any noble hops, liberty would be an ok sub.

Agreed but personally I think Liberty has lot of noble qualities, especially if you have it on hand.

Here is the hop profile from Palmer:

Name:

Liberty

Grown:

US

Profile:

Fine, very mild aroma. One of three hops bred as domestic replacements for Hallertauer Mittelfrüh.

Usage:

Finishing for German style lagers

Example:

Pete's Wicked Lager

AA Range:

2.5 - 5%

Substitute:

Hallertauer Mittelfrüh, Hallertauer Hersbruck, Mt. Hood,

Crystal, Ultra

I procured 3 oz of german hallertauer so I think I will use the hallartuaer to bitter and the liberty at 30....or just blend them together. Either way, columbus is out of the game.

My $.02, the move to the noble hop is a wise one or at least more true to style, you might want to consider crafa II or III in place of the chocolate as well.

They definitely add to the beer. This hop schedule produces a well balanced beer. Your recipe is very similar to mine. Should have a nice noble hop aroma and clean bitterness to balance out the rich malt. You can really pick out the Saaz at the end. I would also keep the chocolate malt. :mug:

They definitely add to the beer. This hop schedule produces a well balanced beer. Your recipe is very similar to mine. Should have a nice noble hop aroma and clean bitterness to balance out the rich malt. You can really pick out the Saaz at the end. I would also keep the chocolate malt. :mug:

Grain bill has been finalized, and I am looking forward to that little toasty edge that the chocolate will give me.

Back