Beer leaking from liquid out disconnect

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cincybrewer

Reaction score
Now I'm having another issue with my keg. I checked the fridge last night and I had a little puddle of beer at the bottom of the fridge and the side of my keg was all sticky. I took off the disconnect and it appeared to be foaming out out the post. I'm guessing my poppet might not be seated correctly but thought I'd ask everyone else if they have had this problem before I once again take apart the post to try to fix it.

It's usually the poppet sticking because of keg lube, hair, hop particles, or something else. I suggest depressurizing the keg, taking off the post, removing the poppet, and boiling both in some water in the microwave (making sure they are covered, or you'll get fireworks).

Yeah, I've never boiled the parts, I just take everything apart and put it in hot tap water with a bit of oxiclean and let everything soak for a few minutes. Rinse, and you're good to go.
Sanitize to satisfy your level of paranoia :D

I did all these things, which is why I'm surprised I'm having this issue.

Maybe I just need to reassemble because the poppet might not be seated correctly. It's easy with the gas in, I can just use a screwdriver and push it in and out until it seats correctly. A little more difficult with the liquid out unless I want beer all over me.

I did all these things, which is why I'm surprised I'm having this issue.

Maybe I just need to reassemble because the poppet might not be seated correctly. It's easy with the gas in, I can just use a screwdriver and push it in and out until it seats correctly. A little more difficult with the liquid out unless I want beer all over me.

If you depressurize, you shouldn't get beer splatter all over you.

Yeah, poppets are notorious for not sealing properly, even when in good condition. I think it's just the fact that they're not precision devices - the little nub can roam all around the post and seal at a random spot.

As you say, a quick push with a thumbnail will usually seal it right up, and not make too much of a mess :)

-Joe

If you depressurize, you shouldn't get beer splatter all over you.

Yea, I know, but unfortunately my kegerator setup requires me to move around the kegs and the co2 in order to depressurize. But I guess that's what I'm going to have to do. My other beer would fill my glass with crap if I barely moved it, at least with this one it is very clear and it doesn't stir up anything when I move it.

Thanks for all the help.

Boiling removes gunk efficiently and near-sterilizes at the same time. I do not recommend lubing the poppet with keg lube, as this can cause them to stick.

If you can't get it to seal, it's time to replace it. Some say the universal poppet valves seal better than the keg-specific models. If you want to go for the latter, Foxx order numbers are 15E04-272 for Firestone V/VI and 15C07-105 for Cornelius Super Champion.

Interesting, I did put lube on the poppet gasket so maybe that is the cause. I'll remove and try again. I doubt the poppet is bad because it's pretty new and it worked fine on my last batch.

Back