Hops and Appearance of Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toastermm

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I was doing a little reading reading tonight, and I came across a beer brewing document that says something to the effect of "Hops contribute to the appearance of a beer."

The source is here: (Click on the pdf about hops and hops-products at the top)

The institute of Brewing & Distilling Reading Lists

Webster online says:
Appearance:
a : external show : semblance <although hostile, he preserved an appearance of neutrality> b : outward aspect : look <had a fierce appearance> c plural : outward indication <trying to keep up appearances>
a : a sense impression or aspect of a thing <the blue of distant hills is only an appearance> b : the world of sensible phenomena
a : the act, action, or process of appearing b : the presentation of oneself in court as a party to an action often through the representation of an attorney

Obviously definition (3) is out. I'm assuming they mean definition (2) instead of (1). But it got me thinking...

Can different types/amounts/times of hops actually change the appearance of beer? The only thing I can think of is extra dry hopping will release lots of hop 'oils', maybe detracting from the head? Just a musing.

Does anyone know anything about this? or had experience?

If you boil some hops in just water for an hour it will turn the water red. So, maybe it contributes slightly to the color of the beer?

If you boil some hops in just water for an hour it will turn the water red. So, maybe it contributes slightly to the color of the beer?

I did not know that. Turns out if you google image search "Hop Tea", some dark yellow liquids show up, among other wierd things.

If only I had more time to do some research with some beer styles.... one day maybe.

Back