American Amber Ale Amber On

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjbrew

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Yeast Starter
yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Sweet and Refreshing the 036 does not impart alot of Fruit goes well with this brew
Prepare Yeast Starter Amount Item Type
1 Pkgs Dusseldorf Alt Yeast (White Labs #WLP036) [Starter 35 ml] Yeast-Ale

Clean and Prepare Brewing Equipment
Prepare 7.85 gal Water for Brewing

Mash or Steep Grains

Ingredients for Mashing Amount Item Type % or IBU
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 77.28 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 7.73 %
10.6 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.10 %
8.0 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 3.86 %
7.2 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3.48 %
5.3 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 2.55 %

Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
45 min Mash In Add 16.18 qt of water at 170.5 F 158.0 F

Batch Sparge Round 1: Sparge with 0.66 gal of 168.0 F water
Batch Sparge Round 2: Sparge with 3.15 gal of 168.0 F water

Boil Wort

Add water to achieve boil volume of 6.30 gal

Estimated pre-boil gravity is 1.056

Boil Ingredients Boil Amount Item Type
60 min 0.75 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops
20 min 1.25 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (20 min) Hops

Great Beer will become the House Amber!:mug:

)

This looks very tasty . I am going to give this one a go for sure . thank you for the recipe .

Any feedback on how this one turned out? I was searching for a random amber in a hurry and sent this grain bill over to get milled at my LHBS. I got home and am dropping it in my software (Brewtarget) and nothing is lining up.

It has a preboil gravity where the OG is supposed to be. I'm getting an OG of 1.063 with my setup and with 036 it will only come down to 1.020. I think this is more along the line of an imperial red and am questioning if I should adjust the hops up to closer to 40 IBU.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Any feedback on how this one turned out? I was searching for a random amber in a hurry and sent this grain bill over to get milled at my LHBS. I got home and am dropping it in my software (Brewtarget) and nothing is lining up.

It has a preboil gravity where the OG is supposed to be. I'm getting an OG of 1.063 with my setup and with 036 it will only come down to 1.020. I think this is more along the line of an imperial red and am questioning if I should adjust the hops up to closer to 40 IBU.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Since we have no indication of the OP's mash (and brew house) efficiency, which maybe very different from yours (and anyone else's), you really should plug the recipe in Beersmith, Promash, or an online recipe calculator using YOUR efficiencies. Adjust the malt weights, leaving the percentages the same, or tweak them wherever you see fit, so you end up with the correct OG for that beer on your system.

I believe good recipes are typically formulated for 80% mash efficiency. If yours is 85%, you can use 6% (85%/80%) less grist to get the same OG.
Same for adjusting the hop bill, the %AA will vary among growers, vendors, harvests, storage conditions, etc. Many brewers like to alter the hop addition times too.

Sparging is another place where each brewer has his/her preferences.
This is what Beersmith will tell you if you don't put the check mark in the box to use equal volume sparges:
Batch Sparge Round 1: Sparge with 0.66 gal of 168.0 F water
Batch Sparge Round 2: Sparge with 3.15 gal of 168.0 F water

This was plugged into Beersmith. I think another yeast could be used to make it finish a little lower. That grain bill will let you take the IBu to 40 without a problem. It finished really heavy on the malt side. It has been years since I brewed it I may revisit and try a different yeast. Let me know if you try something else.

Since I've already got the grain bill milled when I picked it up, I'm locked into that. My system gets about 73% efficiency which puts me at a OG of 1.063 so I ended up adjusting the hops up to 38 IBU. I'm going to stick with the WLP-036 yeast since I already bought it, but I do plan to mash low around 150 and let it drift down to 148. I likely won't brew it for another couple of weeks, but I'll let you know how it comes out.

Latest posts

Back