Too much water for 1st year

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slomo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just bought three new rhizomes for my hop garden, Cascade, Centinnel, and Chinook. Cascade is in some what of a raised bed, but with the large amounts or rain that we have had here I am concerned that it has too much water. The Cent., and the Chinook are in raised beds, but the ground is basically like a sponge. I did just plant them about a seven days ago. Should I uncover them and place them in pots until the soil becomes a little more dry, or should I just let it ride?

TIA:mug:

I would let it ride. I'm not a hop expert (mine are first year also) but disturbing them by removing and replanting later is probably the choice of last resort - i.e. if they were submerged.

When you say that the ground is like a sponge, that sounds good - it will also dry out quickly. Let them lie, have a little faith.

I planted Nugget, Tet and Hallertauer last year along my chain link fence which is next to a drainage ditch. My hops grew like gang busters. I just planted cascade and sterling along the same fence three days ago, growing. There is standing water in the ditch too and the ground is very damp. I am sure they will be fine. My issue is the Japanese beetle eating the hops cones. I should through them in the brew kettle to bitter my beer.

I planted Nugget, Tet and Hallertauer last year along my chain link fence which is next to a drainage ditch. My hops grew like gang busters. I just planted cascade and sterling along the same fence three days ago, growing. There is standing water in the ditch too and the ground is very damp. I am sure they will be fine. My issue is the Japanese beetle eating the hops cones. I should through them in the brew kettle to bitter my beer.

Thats good to hear that you had a similar problem, and that your plants survived. Thanks for the responses.:rockin:

Back