First time seeing this!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgourd

Reaction score
So this is the first time that I've had so much krausen when opening the primary.

krausen.jpg

I brewed 10 days ago. It's a Green Flash West Coast IPA clone, and it's the first time I made a starter (1L). I skimmed off the krausen and racked to secondary. But it looks like there's still some fairly active fermentation going on. I could see bubbles coming through the beer.

krausen_post.jpg

In any event, OG was 1.060 and SG at racking was 1.018. Using WLP001. I racked on top of 2.5 oz of hops. Gently mixed them in, covered the bucket, slipped on the airlock, moved the bucket to my office, and BOOM!

dryhop.jpg

The airlock almost popped off there was so much CO2 coming out. Airlock bubbling steady (no pauses) for 3 seconds. Then slowed to once a second. Then to twice a second. After 15 minutes, we're talking about a bubble about every 10 seconds.

I tasted a sample. !@#$% this will be a great beer. Bitterness that reaches straight to your a$$. Nice hop flavor and aroma without having dry hopped yet. I can't wait to bottle this in about 7 days. Then 2 weeks and I will satisfy my hop head.

To each their own but I'd have left it for a couple more weeks in the primary, until active fermentation was finished. Looks like it's going to be a good brew! :tank:

Back