Storing dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhochman

Reaction score
So I just want to be clear...I have three packets of dry yeast (1 Windsor, which is slated for a brew day about 3 or 4 weeks from now, 1 Notty, and 1 Muntons Ale), and I want to be sure they stay fresh. Should I put them in the fridge? Any chance of them picking up flavors or odors from surrounding foods; I could always put them in a ziploc baggy. I notice the stores keep their kits and packets out in the open, so is it even really necessary to put them in the fridge? Thanks.

My LBHS keeps their dry yeast on the counter also. I know for a fact that Danstar Nottingham says to refrigerate on the package....so I keep all my yeast (dry/liquid) in the fridge. I wouldn't worry about the baggy. The packaging is made to protect the yeast.

Are you asking if the foil pouches pick up any off flavors? Probably not.
For best storage, I'd suggest refrigerating. If you're LHBS does store them out in room temp and you plan on using it, make sure you proof the yeast by making a starter. I'm always a little leery of yeast thats been out at room temp for a while.

I have used sealed foil packets of dry yeast that has been at room temperature for 3 months with no problem at all when making mead...

I'm not recommending that you store your yeast on top of the refrigerator, or anything, and regardless of how it is stored you should rehydrate and proof your yeast before you pitch it, but live yeast is live yeast, regardless of how much it was coddled in it's freeze-dried state. Worst case scenario you have to spring another buck and a half for another packet...

I keep mine in the fridge and I keep that fridge at 37*F. Have used yeast 2 years old, always rehydrated first, and never a problem.

I'm new to brewing but am an Avid bread baker until about 5 years ago I was very abusive to my yeast. I remember back in HS when I was first experimenting with breads I found some Fleischman's packets that were in the back of the cabinet above the stove. The cabinet that the hood passed through. They must have been 2 years old at least and proofed fine. In the last few years I have always stored a few ounces of my bread yeasts in the fridge and the balance of the 1 pound bag I by in the freezer.

I guess what I'm saying is dry yeast is Damn tough but there's no reason to abuse it.

Fresh yeasts and Soursdoughs now those need love.

Dry Yeast is the Chuck Noris of yeast.

Back