Chest freezer out (help please)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luv2brw

Reaction score
Jul 4th, 2009
11:17 am
My chest freezer just went out and am hoping someone here might know what part I'd need to fix it. Every few minutes the compressor will turn on and stay on for about 4 seconds and then shut off. I hear a click when it turns on and another when it turns off. Since the compressor is turning on I'm thinking it's not the compressor that is bad and maybe just the thermostat or a relay. Anybody with ideas?

Sounds like it's shutting down because the refrigerant (freon) pressure is low. You may be able to recharge the system, locate the leak and make a repair. Unfortunately, the cost for the repair/recharge may be more than the freezer is worth and it may not be repairable at all. A lot depends on the age and condition of the freezer as to whether or not it's worth it to have repaired.

The problem is partly your compressor and possibly your condenser (if your freezer has one). It's probably frozen up. Same as when your compressor on your A/C freezes. All you can do is unplug it and let it thaw out. More often than not that will take care of the problem. If it doesn't then depending on how old it is and what size. i would just replace the whole thing b/c it would be cheaper than the parts. Craigslist is a good place to start if that becomes the case. There is always someone giving away a freezer free or dirt cheap in my area.

Sounds like it's shutting down because the refrigerant (freon) pressure is low. You may be able to recharge the system, locate the leak and make a repair. Unfortunately, the cost for the repair/recharge may be more than the freezer is worth and it may not be repairable at all. A lot depends on the age and condition of the freezer as to whether or not it's worth it to have repaired.

Good point... I didn't even consider that.....

Back