Beer Hangover

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark_Ale

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Chaser Pills before drinking heavily. If you have what did you think. I was thinking about buying some and conducting my own experiment. I have read drink water in between drinks, and sports drinks and B vitamins, etc... but has anyone tried the Chaser pill, or something similar?

I got a huge sample box at the bar when they first came out and decided to have a "bender" to see if they worked. If you follow the directions on the packet they actually work fairly well. I woke up feeling not quite right but better than I should have. No headache but a bit of a tender stomach. Not near as bad as I would have felt without them.

I just remember reading the directions on them one time and realizing that I'd have to be taking a lot of them. Maybe worth the $$ for something where you know you'll end up tanked like turning 21, but too expensive for regular consumption.

I tried them also. Didn't work for me at all. Does anyone have their own sure-fired way to avoid hangovers? Besides the obvious avoid alcohol thing.

I tried them also. Didn't work for me at all. Does anyone have their own sure-fired way to avoid hangovers? Besides the obvious avoid alcohol thing.

What usually worked for me, in my heavy drinking days, was lots of water and a few Ibuprofen (Advil) before you go to bed, and then bananas and Gatorade, with more Ibuprofen, when you wake up. Of course, in those days, a few healthy tokes helped, also.

Me and My roommates (college) usually wake up around 8 or 9 am, swallow down 4 ibuprofen and a Gatorade and go to bed, when I wake up at 11 or 12 I'm fine.

What usually worked for me, in my heavy drinking days, was lots of water and a few Ibuprofen (Advil) before you go to bed, and then bananas and Gatorade, with more Ibuprofen, when you wake up. Of course, in those days, a few healthy tokes helped, also.

+1 on the water and ibuprofen. I make myself drink about a quart of water before I go to bed and repeat in the morning. I did the Gatorade thing too, but no bananas as I hate bananas.

Hydration is your best defense against a hangover. Drink lots of water before bed and replenish your electrolytes once you get up. I also had a lot of success with a B Complex vitamin to help too.

Ive used them a few times. I woke up feeling relatively fine, just really really thirsty was all.

the ingredients in those chaser pills are basically calcium carbonate and activated charcoal. they will absorb a certain amount of congeners, that cause "hangover" symptoms in some people. but if you are overindulging, and not just sensitive to certain beer or wine components, the amount delivered in a dosage of chaser is probably not significant enough to help you. they don't absorb alcohol. for the more garden variety hangover, you are probably better off sticking with water and B vitamins. if you have a Wicked red wine sensitivity well, then you can get activated charcoal pills for a heck of a lot cheaper than these things.

Budweiser is test marketing a new anti hangover drink called Detox. You have to drink it before you go to bed after heavy drinking. I've tried it once, seemed to work quite well. I'd like to try it again, the problem is if I drink enough to need it I forget to drink it.

I've used it. If you follow the instructions it works somewhat. I took lots to Vegas the last time I went.

I've read really bad things about taking Ibuprofin after drinking. Supposedly does bad things to your liver. So I only take asprin.

neither aspirin nor NSAIDs are actually Safe when taken with a large amount of alcohol (3-5 drinks). ibuprofen and acetaminophen can cause a large amount of liver inflammation and damage. aspirin does this to a lesser (but not negligible) extent but carries with it high risks of epigastric bleeding. it's a better bet to stick with the water and B-vitamins until the alcohol is metabolized and out of your system. and for people who have more than 3 drinks a day, there is always some risk.

Homebrew. Can drink a good bit before getting a hangover. :D Commercial beer, not as much.

Water Water Water Water Water Water Cheeseburger Water Water!!!!

THIS!

Your body will continue to kick out water as long as alcohol is in it because it inhibits a hormone that's produced by your pituitary that tells your body to withhold water. Hydrate before or after alcohol has left your system.

i don't like the pills, tho people say they work but you really gotta follow the directions. personally i prefer to drink V8 and water, a huge part of the hangover is missing water the rest is the loss of water soluble vitamins.

My Dad use to take cod liver oil before drinking heavy and he says he could drink more then usual and wake up with little or no hangover. I like to drink lot of water and fruit juice mix 50/50 (or getorade) before going to bed...if I remenber... and the same in the morning.

Mc Donalds help alot

Water. There is no better fix than to stay hydrated. If you know your going on a bender drink lots of water before you start. Drink a bit during your drinking and before you go to bed top off with a larger glass of water.

Doing this I can be sloshed at 3 AM wake up at 8 AM and be on the golf course at 10 AM no problems. Yes you feel a bit tired but for me the headaches are nonexistant. Albeit I have been blessed with the gift of only minor hangovers whenever I drink.

Water during drink seems to be the best cure for me. Although, the key I have really found is to not order that last drink when everyone else is ready to leave. ;) :mug:

+1 for the Tokes... when I say a Few I mean like 1/8 oz then cookies and nap.
Works every time...
:fro:

neither aspirin nor NSAIDs are actually Safe when taken with a large amount of alcohol (3-5 drinks). ibuprofen and acetaminophen can cause a large amount of liver inflammation and damage. aspirin does this to a lesser (but not negligible) extent but carries with it high risks of epigastric bleeding. it's a better bet to stick with the water and B-vitamins until the alcohol is metabolized and out of your system. and for people who have more than 3 drinks a day, there is always some risk.

Is this true? I wish I read this before I dry-hopped my Belgian Wit with 2 oz of Advil.

:ban:

I have found alkaseltzer works wonders for me the next morning. Then I ran across a product called Blowfish, it comes in 2 effervescent tablets like alkaseltzer, and it basically has just a bunch of caffeine and pain killers in it. Worked wonders. I'm all out now, need to order more!

Bigass pit of tea. I have some great ones for hangovers. Also lots of sleep and a cheeseburger.
Other option is to wake up bonus drunk and fight your hangover before it kicks in! (That's the best option)

Gatorade recovery, the one in the twisted bottle...taste like a sugary mess but chit one and wait man hour. You will feel new again

Got to say hydration, electrolytes, and a b-vitamin has worked well for me, but the BIGGEST factor if you can manage it, is not going to sleep drunk. If you wait it out, and go to bed mostly sober, you will be tired in the morning but not hungover.

My surefire hangover cure: before bed, I coat my nasal passages with Vaseline (brand petroleum jelly) and put a mini-marshmallow in each ear. When I wake up, I stand, put my right hand on my head and rotate once clockwise, then my left and rotate once counterclockwise, then I take two percocets with a huge glass of water and go back to bed.

It's been years for me since I've had a bad one, but try drinking water in between beers and take ibuprofen before sleeping. If you're still hungover the next morning then go get a great big greasy bacon cheese burger with fries and as much Coke or Pepsi as you can stand to drink. NO McDondald's or Burger King - go find a real burger place. Then, find a cold place to go and hang out for a while. Maybe sleep some more.

It's been years for me since I've had a bad one, but try drinking water in between beers and take ibuprofen before sleeping. If you're still hungover the next morning then go get a great big greasy bacon cheese burger with fries and as much Coke or Pepsi as you can stand to drink. NO McDondald's or Burger King - go find a real burger place. Then, find a cold place to go and hang out for a while. Maybe sleep some more.

This, minus the Ibuprofen (I have heard the bad things about it). Water between beers does wonders for me. I just chug a glass of water between every 1-2 beers and not only does it help hydration, but it helps fill your stomach so you can't drink as fast. Then before bed, chug a glass of water. If you wake up in the night to pee, chug more water.

In essence, water water water water. As others said.

This, minus the Ibuprofen (I have heard the bad things about it). Water between beers does wonders for me. I just chug a glass of water between every 1-2 beers and not only does it help hydration, but it helps fill your stomach so you can't drink as fast. Then before bed, chug a glass of water. If you wake up in the night to pee, chug more water.

In essence, water water water water. As others said.

Ill get behind that too, I always drink 1 or 2 glasses of water before heading to bed. I almost never get hungover the next day after doing that. Back in the college days it was grab some McDonalds on the way home, it worked, but that stuff wrecks my stomach these days.

The key to taking ibuprofen or aspirin is don't take it on an empty stomach. Take it with food and it will be much better for your liver. Still not good for your liver to take it with alcohol but if we were that concerned with our livers we wouldn't be drinking in the first place. I second water and food as a good cure. Taking a shower helps as it clears out your pores so your body can get the alcohol out of your system faster.

My tried and true cure for a hangover is to drink a large glass of water before bed and take 2 excedrin and a benadryl. I've been fall down drunk before and this allows me to wake up groggy, but zero hangover effects. It works EVERY time. The benadryl helps to keep you asleep as the caffeine in the excedrin and the alcohol in your body can make you restless. The painkillers in the excedrin remove all headaches. I've tried this with advil and plain tylenol too, but nothing works as good as excedrin. It's probably not good for me, but it does the job. Let me know if it works for you.

I used to be able to eat a few bites of food and go to sleep and wake up fine. Fast forward 13 years and considerably less routine drinking and I have to be more careful or I'll lose an entire day to a hangover. Lots of water early in the day, mixing water in with drinks during the drinking period, then lots of water before bed. I often eat before going to bed if I have drank myself stupid. The real trick for me, in addition to all that hydration, is to swallow down like three multi-vitamins with the last water. That was a huge difference in the gravity of the hangover. If I drank a lot I often take nyquil on the way to bed, although I try to only do that when I am really wasted because I know it's bad for the liver and I don't want to make a habit of doubling the injury to my liver. Vitamins, nyquil and water have destroyed almost every hangover I've had the past couple years.

For the night of drinking, don't forget cranberry juice, and not the cocktail stuff, get northland, if you can, or get the wal-mart brand stuff that is watered down pure cranberry juice. If you are not familiar with cranberry juice it filters the liver, and kidneys. Doctors say drink it when you have a urinary tract infection, etc. If you can find the truly 100% cranberry juice, a 4-6 oz. glass ususally works for me...if I can remember.

I personally drink, donate blood, smoke, so I try to protect my liver, which is why I do not take meds, even if I do have a hangover, I try to just stick it out with gatorade, if it's bad, just drink another beer, or take a shot of whiskey.

Back