White house beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a batch of White House Honey Ale in the fermenter as we speak, my OG was 1.060 if that helps. Some of the readings I have seen online say this recipe should be OG 1.055 - FG 1.013.

To add, my instructions say to ferment two to three weeks then transfer to a secondary for another two to three weeks, is the secondary necessary?

Hi jpappilli,

I read a bunch of threads about not needing secondary fermentation, so I decided not to do it. It seems like this was considered given the properties of honey breaking down and the possibility of the residue creating an astringent-like taste. I got my recipe from the white house website, which was very confusing. It said to ferment for only 4-7 days before the transfer to a secondary fermenter, so it seems there is some variation in the recipes.

I just bottled yesterday and it was normally-heavy in sediment, smelled great and tasted fine (though obviously flat and not finished) without the secondary fermentation. My OG was 1.07 and when I decided to bottle after 16 days my FG was 1.022, which I'm a little concerned about. I'll keep you posted on how it works out. Hopefully we don't have any explosions!

So we can look for more recipes from the White House kitchen? Let's hope they use the awesome power of the presidency to invest in a top-notch all-grain system. And come up with some more complex renderings. Paradise grains would be a good addition.

1.022 is a little high. Always give the yeast whatever time they need to get the job done. When you have a stable FG,let it sit another 3-7 days to clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty. Then prime & bottle. You'll get less sediment at the bottom of the bottles this way.

Rave reviews on the WH Honey Ale last night. Well balanced, smooth, nice honey aroma, perfectly carbed. That's what I kept hearing. I even heard a, "I was going to try it and say something nice because you're my friend, but this actually IS really good!"

On the Irish Moss. I've done a couple of batches with it and a couple of batches without. I'm finding the big difference is in cooling the wort and separation of the trub from the wort. When I used the Irish moss, I had a lot more trub fall out while cooling in the boil pot and therefore had a much cleaner yeast cake at the bottom of my fermenter. In the end, this will lead to clearer beer a little faster, but I'm not really noticing a huge difference at this point.

Direct comparison is an Amber Ale kit I did twice. First without moss, second with. The one without took about 4 weeks in the keg to become nice and clear. So far, the one with Moss has been in the keg for 3 weeks, it seems clearer that no moss at 3 weeks, but still isn't crystal clear. So for me, it looks like 4 weeks in the keg, cold is going to be my magic number for nice clear Amber Ale. Although, Like I said, it seems to be doing a better job of gradual clearing. The non-moss one seemed to make a more drastic clarity change between week 3 and 4. And although not a drastic difference, is enough to keep me using moss from here on out. As I said, in my experience, the biggest thing is in the clearing of the wort, before it goes into the fermenter.

my white house honey porter got an infection, so there was no sharing of the brew. some bottles are drinkable and some are drain-pours so i wouldn't risk serving it to anyone. i will be re-brewing for inauguration.

great to hear that so many other folks has success with the recipes.

sweetcell said:
my white house honey porter got an infection, so there was no sharing of the brew. some bottles are drinkable and some are drain-pours so i wouldn't risk serving it to anyone. i will be re-brewing for inauguration.

great to hear that so many other folks has success with the recipes.

Sounds like your problem is bottle sanitation. That's easy enough to get straightened out.

nope, it's generalized - several batches have fallen victim, you can taste it starting in the carboy (now that i know what to taste for). likely culprit is the aeration stone. it will be dealt with :D

I keep reading cautionary tales about aeration stones, I think I'll go another direction.

Good luck with that next batch. :mug:

Rick

So this was supposed to be my grand finale in extract brewing - moving up to all grain. I have done about 10 batches over 3 years of extract kits and have never had an issue before. Once a screwdriver fell into my cooled wort and no problems. Once a neighbor's sick kid sneezed in my cool wort and no problems.

So I made the White House Honey from NB and everything went fine. In my better bottle fermentation started up within about 18 hours and it was vigorous for a good 5 days. I know I need to xfer to a secondary fermenter but I am about 2 days behind - election and all. But I noticed this am that I have small white circles on top of the wort - krausen is essentially gone and my fermented wort is a little cloudier than 2 days ago.

I am definitely going to transfer it tonight but do you think it could be lactobaccillus or something similar.

Just really strange. I have left wort on the trub for 2+ weeks before and never an issue.

Can't say what it is without seeing it but people who keep their beer in primary have FEWER infections. You will NEVER get an infection from your trub.

I'd suggest letting it sit for a while longer and see what happens. If it grows, it is probably an infection. If it stays the same or goes away, it is probably yeast rafts and fine.

I'm leaning toward yeast rafts as it is too soon to see visual evidence of most infections yet.

Probably yeast, most bacteria will form a white film, not single splotches.

If over the next few days it covers your wort its infected..dont transfer it. If it is infected you can rack from under it, if you transfer it your just mixing all the bacteria in.

I keep reading cautionary tales about aeration stones, I think I'll go another direction.

ya gotta boil them. soaking them in star san doesn't get all the gunk out. bacteria need oxygen to live, and guess what you're doing with that air-stone when you dunk it in your sweet wort...

anyhoo, back to talking about white house ale :mug:

Weird how this never happened before. I have always been skeptical of better bottles but I have not had an issue yet. Wondering if it is because of the Honey (never used honey in beer before) but probably not. We will see in another few days. For all grain I am going to start using the blichmann fermenator.

I'm brewing this for the first time right now after voting today.. Plan to drink it on inauguration night. I'm so patriotic.

Well my OG was 1.066. How does this compare with what you all are getting? What kind of FG can I expect? Pitched the Windsor Ale yeast last night and it started bubbling this afternoon. Can't wait to try this stuff.

Another question.. What is the attenuation of the windsor ale yeast? Will I have any problem getting down to around 1.013-1.015? I am currently fermenting at about 63-64 but can move fermenter to a warming area if you think this would help.

63-64 is the warmest you want to keep this yeast at for the first 3 days. is that air temp, or wort temp? hopefully it's the latter.

after 3-4 days, you could move it to a warmer spot to encourage attenuation.

Another question.. What is the attenuation of the windsor ale yeast? Will I have any problem getting down to around 1.013-1.015? I am currently fermenting at about 63-64 but can move fermenter to a warming area if you think this would help.

Mine ended up at 1.008 with Windsor

63-64 is the warmest you want to keep this yeast at for the first 3 days. is that air temp, or wort temp? hopefully it's the latter.

after 3-4 days, you could move it to a warmer spot to encourage attenuation.

Wort temp is 62.8 I just checked it. good?

Yup, 62 F is a good temp for the wort with Windsor.

Ok thanks. Do you have any idea what I can expect as a FG with a starting gravity of 1.066? Also do you think I should move to a warmer spot in a few days. I pitched yeast about 24 hours ago and it is down to 1.061.

We mashed a littler higher (we did 153), with about the same OG you had (1.065, as opposed to Papper's 1.053), our FG was 1.016. That seems to be the number range a lot of folks are getting. I wouldn't want this to go down to 1.008.

Nice. I can't wait to try it on inauguration night. I think I might let it sit for a couple more days at 62.8 then ramp it up to 67.5.

Mashed a little lower in order to get a drier final beer - and the result has been very popular. Its an easy drinking English Pale Ale with nice honey aroma.

Mashed a little lower in order to get a drier final beer - and the result has been very popular. Its an easy drinking English Pale Ale with nice honey aroma.

I mashed at 155. Pappers what do you think about ramping up the temp to 67.5 in 3 days? Would it help the beer or is it better to just leave it as it is.

DaBills said:
Well my OG was 1.066. How does this compare with what you all are getting? What kind of FG can I expect? Pitched the Windsor Ale yeast last night and it started bubbling this afternoon. Can't wait to try this stuff.

My oG was 1.064, but I estimated the pitch temp, so it could be a little higher or lower. I also let it spend the first 3 days in the garage in the mid fifties in an attempt to control ester production. I'll be moving it in tonight to finish up.

My oG was 1.064, but I estimated the pitch temp, so it could be a little higher or lower. I also let it spend the first 3 days in the garage in the mid fifties in an attempt to control ester production. I'll be moving it in tonight to finish up.

What was your final gravity? Unless it's still fermenting. If it's done how did it turn out how do you like it?

Edit: Whoops should have read more carefully.

I mashed at 155. Pappers what do you think about ramping up the temp to 67.5 in 3 days? Would it help the beer or is it better to just leave it as it is.

I sometimes will raise the temp towards the end of fermentation, but usually later than 3 days. 5 or 7dsyd. Whether that's optimal, I don't know, but my thought is that I'm helping the yeast in their clean up phase.

DaBills said:
What was your final gravity? Unless it's still fermenting. If it's done how did it turn out how do you like it?

I'm still fermenting, I just moved the fermenter into the house to let it it start warming up after 3 days at lager temp. The airlock slowed way down and I want to keep it from stalling out too early. I suspect that with the pound of honey we should still get decent attenuation with the Windsor yeast. I'll be happy to see it finish between 1.008 and 1.018. It seems like every beer I make with added sugar, I get freakishly high attenuation. That's great for some styles, but I would like to see a bit of residual sweetness with this ale. Hopefully, this notoriously low attenuating yeast will deliver.

Nice. Yeah I've never brewed with honey and I hope that flavor comes through. I'm hoping for low to mid teens.

Yeast rafts, if that is what you are seeing, are normal. No 2 beers will ever ferment the same, even if you use the same recipe.

It is very doubtful that you got an infection from honey. Honey is a natural preservative. Jars of honey have been found in 3000 year old Egyptian tombs and they were still good.

Back