Stout Tanks RIMS Module

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aNYbrewery

Reaction score
I just popped the box on one of these and thought I'd share some pics. When I was researching these I couldn't find much info on them outside the website and no photos anywhere so hopefully this will help someone out in the future.

2011-10-17_13_13_44.jpg

2011-10-17_13_13_09.jpg

2011-10-17_13_13_29.jpg

2011-10-17_13_12_35.jpg

I'm a month or two away from putting it to work but I'll add details when I do.

In the meantime, mid way along the tube is a 1/2" port for a liquid sensor. Anyone have any suggestion for what kind of sensor to use?

:mug:

a thing of beauty to be sure. Although I don't know myself the guys over at brewmation.com have partnered up with stout tanks and kettles. They supply them with brewery control panels and whatnot. Im sure they would know what to recommend for you.

I assume you mean temperature sensors. You'll need a thermowell of some type, sensor, and device to gather and read data. The thermowell will be copper or stainless, easily attained at Brewershardware.com, ebay, etc. You'll need to decide on what device the temperature sensor will be attached to, and that will determine what type of sensor you'll need. There are many types; RTD, K-type, thermistor, One-Wire (ex Dallas DS18B20) to name a few. So as you can see your question doesnt have an easy answer. However, it looks like there is also 1/2" fitting on the end as well. So maybe you mean a flow sensor?

Sorry, I guess I mean a flow sensor to stop dry firing.

It'll be run with a PID and an RTD. On the stout website they label it as an input for a flow sensor but I'm not sure what I'm looking for or how to implement it. I'll probably just plug it to start but figure it might be cool to add it on.

Thanks all.

Sorry, I guess I mean a flow sensor to stop drop firing.

It'll be run with a PID and an RTD. On the stout website they label it as an input for a flow sensor but I'm not sure what I'm looking for or how to implement it. I'll probably just plug it to start but figure it might be cool to add it on.

Thanks all.

I have a flow sensor inline with the output of my RIMs tube.
The stout tube looks like it has an "extra" port?
So, it looks like you have ports for the Element, Temp Probe, Liquid In, Liquid Out, and then the "extra" port? If that's correct, I'm not sure how you would use a flow sensor. You might find one that has a paddle that fits into the port, but the one I have has an in and out.

Wow, that is a beautiful RIMS tube. What kind of set up are you using it on? Would love to see more pics of it once you get your build done!

So a heating element can just screw right in to the one of those ends? What goes on the other end?

I used a flow meter with a paddle that was about 1 1/2" in diameter and it clogged with husks frequently. I think you would need what called a sail switch (if I remember a conversation I had with CodeRage a long time ago).

hatfieldenator said:
Wow, that is a beautiful RIMS tube. What kind of set up are you using it on? Would love to see more pics of it once you get your build done!

So a heating element can just screw right in to the one of those ends? What goes on the other end?

Temp sensor goes in the other end. Wort comes in adjacent to the heating element and exits near the temp probe end. Presumably a flow switch of some kind goes in the other 1/2 FNPT fitting on top.

Temp sensor goes in the other end. Wort comes in adjacent to the heating element and exits near the temp probe end. Presumably a flow switch of some kind goes in the other 1/2 FNPT fitting on top.

That's right. Pretty standard except for the 1/2" port in the middle. I took another look at Brewmations setups and they use a float switch.

I found these http://www.fluidswitch.com/pages/fh13.htm which might suit. I need to measure how deep I can go into the tube.

Price is a little brutal but something like this could be perfect if the tube is mounted vertical with the element on the bottom.

No I don't think those will work. The diameter will restrict flow if nothing elese. They also need to be mounted horizontal. Plus it would necessarily prevent a melt down

It's less than 1/2" wide. I cant imagine it restricting it more than the liquid in/out connections with only 1/2' barbs on them.

It would be mounted correctly if the rims tube was vertical with the element at the bottom. Say I get a stuck mash, the wort will drain down past the float, trip it and turn the element off.

Perhaps, I'm just not sure. What's the internal diameter of the RIMs? You need to make sure it's able to move freely within the 1/2" fitting and obviously not touch the wall. It looks to me like float is 0.67" in diameter.

Get this in use yet?

I'm up in the air between this tube and the one from Brewers Hardware.

Almost. I've been dragging ass wiring up my Kal style control panel.

I got a plug for the sensor port for now. I spoke to the crew at brewmation and apparently the sensor they have for it is off the chart expensive so I'm going to skip it for now. Nice to have the option for something later too.

Got the element and the bushings for my rtd so shouldn't be long now.

It looks good so far, that's all I can tell you. :D

Why is the thing so long? 26" if I am not mistaken. That is a good 10" longer than any heat element I would put in there. Am I right?

I am curious if you looked at the one from Brewer's Hardware, and if so, why you went with this one?

Thanks.

Bumping an old thread to see if there's any update to this one? I have my order together and am about to pull the trigger on this setup (along with 3 19.8 gallon vessels) and would like to see some feedback from previous users...

I wanted to piece together my own rims tube utilitzing a sight glass and 2 Ts, but that was going to be over $200 and i figured that's a bit much (although it would look pretty cool and you could watch the flow through the rims...

Also, interested to see if you got this flow sensor figured...

Thanks!
Dan

Where you able to find a float switch that would for the tube? I just ordered Stout's RIMS tube and have been looking for one. Do you have a link to the switch brewmation uses?

Any updates on this?

I picked up the same tube from someone here on the board and want to use the same flow style safety switch in my setup

It's less than 1/2" wide. I cant imagine it restricting it more than the liquid in/out connections with only 1/2' barbs on them.

It would be mounted correctly if the rims tube was vertical with the element at the bottom. Say I get a stuck mash, the wort will drain down past the float, trip it and turn the element off.
thats a floats sensor... I have one like that in my 3bble HLT it wont detect flow... who cares if theres liquid in there if its not moving it will still scorch.
I also use a flow switch with my rims but its external before the rims in my setup... I find them very useful.

Back