Secondary in Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMan

Reaction score
I am going to secondary in a corny keg before bottling it. Can I simply purge it a few times with C02 and seal it? Or do I need to attach an airlock to one of the posts?

Seems to me purging and sealing would be fine. But will it carbonate at all with the 30 PSI used to seal the lid? (C02 would be disconnected)

Thanks.

I use my kegs as a 2nd all the time, it won carb up unless its in there for like 4 weeks or so, also you dont need an airlock, the keg can handle something like 150 psi.

You don't purge the oxygen out at all after racking to the keg though? Or what PSI do you pump into it when you rack?

If I'm using a keg to secondary I purge a few times after racking, pump it to 20psi or so and try and forget it in the basement for a while.

If you secondary in a keg, couls you also serve from this keg? Just hook it up to c02 and pump out the trub?? Or would I need to transfer to another keg for serving??

If you secondary in a keg, couls you also serve from this keg? Just hook it up to c02 and pump out the trub?? Or would I need to transfer to another keg for serving??

Some people don't like the trub, but after pouring a pint or so it'll be as clear as it's going to get in my experience.

Just to be clear, I was talking about using the keg for ONLY secondary purposes, not dispensing from it. I want it to go into bottles from the keg. No room for more kegs on tap lol.

BeerPants is correct though, you can just secondary in the keg and then dispense from it. It works well in my experience.

OK, I really hate to ask question on someone elses thread ... but. I am looking in to doing this as well. As was stated, there would be some trub in the first pint ... at this point it would be almost all yeast, would it be ok to wash and save this yeast? I would assume as long as the line and vessel to store the yeast is sanitized, this would be a good way to go.

Does this sound about riht, or am I off base?

Interesting idea aby yeast ---I wld be worried abt all the O2 in the mix, but maybe not a plm.

So, it looks like you cld keg after the first 14 days or so, then just wait ...

hmmm--time to get more kegs !

The yeast you get out of the secondary will be very low flocculating yeast. So you won't get a normal population and that might affect your next batch. If you want yeast that stay in suspension and continue to chew away at your beer, than maybe it's a good thing. But I bet there will be other consequences as well. If I remember right there is a BrewStrong podcast where they talk about selective yeast sampling using either time or bed depth to alter the genetics of your yeast. I can't remember which one it was...but look for the "Yeast Washing" episode as a good place to start looking. ;)

Yeah, I've read about taking yeast from the secondary, and being concerned about low flocculation .... but the way I look at it, it can't be all that bad, I mean, it came from the bottom of the keg, it obviously settled out ... so it can't be all that low flocculating.

BTW .... I'm in Cartersville .... not to far away.

Why not just take the yeast from the primary when you transfer to secondary like normal? It's very simple...and the yeast would be better than the yeast from the secondary.

Back