Label Removal Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just had a new experience with this yesterday. I've been soaking the labels off the bottles from my collection where I'm able to. So, I started soaking some of the Bud " America" bottles. They wouldn't come off. I then noticed they were thin plastic film decals! So I grabbed an exacto knife with rounded blade edge & peeled off both neck & main labels. But they're so thin, I mounted them on printer paper & cut them out. Firmer & more easily handled this way.

Just an fyi if those bud bottles are twist off, i don't recommend using them. The glass is very thin at the twist off neck, and you will experience a lot of breakage when u try to bottle. Stick with pop tops.

Just experienced some seriously satisfying label removal. I'm a dedicated collector of heavy Belgian bombers which possess the most frustratingly venerable adhesives. The labels peel intact, but leave a nasty surface that is nearly impossible to mechanically remove. Ive tried soaps, PBW, etc, with no effect. Talk about a PITA.

Well, today I did a quick Google search and found a simple solution: 1/2 baking soda and 1/2 oil. That solution made me able to pull off the adhesive with my fingers (not even the nails). A simple soak in dish detergent removed any oily detritus afterwards (just the exterior!). Simple, elegant and easy label removal.

I'm kicking myself now, because I actually tossed a few bottles simply because they had those plastic labels on them. No harsh chemicals, no messy cleanup...this changes everything.

I do hot water with an high dose of StarSan. Even the tougher label come of eventually. Evo (Evolution Brewing) seems to know I love using their bottles. Labels slide off like boxers ofter the prom!

I just cleaned about 40 bottles tonight. Sink full of hot water and a couple of shakes of baking soda and they all came off clean. 30 minute soak. Alaskan came off easiest, followed by Voodoo Ranger, then Sam Adams. The toughest was Shock Top. They are a vinyl label. Once you get a finger nail under a corner though, they peel right off. A quick swipe of the nylon dish brush and all were clean.

Back