My electric with divorced control panel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rod734

Reaction score
My electric build is coming along, but slowly. I have a relay panel with receptacles, each with its own power on light right above it, mounted on the wall right next to my 60 amp gfi. I hook to my control box with a tail light plug for a trailer. I have plenty of room to expand for more controll, but right now I'm just using an 8x8 plastic box with a pid, pwm, a 12 volt power supply, and some switches to switch from pid to pwm and to switch some relays for constant on/off. I'v got two elements in my 80 qt kettle, I figure on running one constant, and control the other with the pwm to maintain the proper boil. I will use the pid to maintain my mash temp (biab) and controll my hot water heater I built from a SS keg. I can then also use my controller on my fermenting chamber, and electric smoker/grill I'v got started. I'v only tested it with lights and everything seems to work like it should.
I also have another project started that I think is a new Idea, I'v never seen anything like it done before and I would like to get some feedback. I'm trying to build a deep well kettle out of an electric range. I have removed the cook top and broil element, and I'm going to put an 80 qt kettle down in the oven and have it almost flush with the top. I will relocate the broil element to the back or side, and can even use the burner controls for more elements if necessary. If I can get this thing to boil efficiently without any major drawbacks I will add some electronic control. My thinking is this should be a softer heat and during mash (BIAB) you wouldn't have to worry about denaturing your enzymes with a hot submerged element. I will also be recirculating and electric stirring. Let me know what you think.

Back