Adding taps to fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enohcs

Reaction score
I'm going to turn this fridge into a kegerator with 4 taps. (I'm looking to get a 14.5 gal conical and it won't fit in here)
Ideally I'd like to put the taps through the left side and not the door. Anyone know if there are parts I should be concerned about avoiding when drilling at this point?

image-2678272590.jpg

There is absolutely a possibility that there could be lines that run through the side. You need to either find a building schematic or take 4 chances at creating a paperweight.

There shouldnt be any problem going through the door though.

Why dont you want to go through the door? Is there a particular reason? I run through the door of my '39 GE fridge and it works excellent. Some times the beer line gets in the way when it moves when opening the door, but i'm just careful when I do open it.

The left side faces the door from the basement to the garage. I'm too lazy to walk the extra step. And I like the idea of having the ability to open the door and move things around without hoses in the way.

It just so happens I found this shoved in the back of the fridge when I was looking for the model number. Do these drawings tell me I'm safe to drill on the left side?

image-3739229541.jpg

image-3951342386.jpg

Its hard to read that pic, but it looks like all the lines are run through the middle. You may be fine (I am not liable for when you brick the thing!).

hard to tell from the pic but i think i have the same one and i have mine go through the side. if it also has removable shelves in the door it is very likely the same one. i put the faucets up as high as i could just under the freezer/refrigerator divider. also going through the side allows you to use full tap handles. i think mine is a GE i can check the exact model when i get home if you want.

kevkev5 said:
hard to tell from the pic but i think i have the same one and i have mine go through the side. if it also has removable shelves in the door it is very likely the same one. i put the faucets up as high as i could just under the freezer/refrigerator divider. also going through the side allows you to use full tap handles. i think mine is a GE i can check the exact model when i get home if you want.

Thanks. Mine is model #TBX18HACHRAA

Good call on the tap handles. Didn't even think about that.

I have a very similar fridge in an identical location, took 5 taps out the left side like you are trying to do because it saved me a couple steps per draft. I did not encounter any issues when drilling and mounting the shanks and taps through the side wall. In my opinion it is much better than having the hoses move around anytime you open the door.

Additional note:
If you plan on using bar-style tap handles, get the bonnet angler attachments to lean your tap handles a little forward. This will make it so you can more easily use commercial handles opposed to the basic 4" handles. Even with those you still may be limited with the depth of the tap handle. Just something to keep in mind.

after a closer look mine is a kenmore coldspot, and is a little different on the inside then yours. good call on the bonnet angler's. i needed them as well.

that fridge looks a lot like mine. is it a roper? if so you should be good to go

IMG_1510-2.jpg

Back