Need some expert advice on kegging system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hodge

Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to recieve a kegging system from my father-in-law over the holidays. He gave me two cornies, one primary regulator, and two 5# CO2 tanks.

I'm trying to figure out how to use this set up and what I should add. I envision that I'll one day have 3 or 4 kegs on tap at one time. That being said, which do you think is the best option:

1) Sell one (or both) of the 5# tanks, buy a 20# tank and get a secondary regulator with 3 or 4 ports.

2)Use one of the 5# tanks for serving and one 5# tank for carbing. Buy another primary regulator and a 3 or 4 way distributor for the serving tank.

3)...ideas?

I think option 2 would be easiest on my wallet (and SWMBO does the bills), but I've also heard that 5# tanks will end up costing you more in the end due to the increased frequency of refilling.

I'd love to hear a suggestion from an experienced kegger. What would make most sense?

Thanks in advance!

You'd probably not fill a 20# but every four years.

I have two 5# CO2 tanks...they last a long time and only cost $15 max (here in MA) exchange for a full one. I fill ONE of them MAYBE yearly. One sits under the bar pushing two cornys in the fridge and one I use as a backup, to push beer around, and to carb up.

Maybe sell one of the 5# and use the money for a gas splitter (you can serve and carb up at the same time at 12 psi, carb up will just take a couple of weeks), more cornys, and what you did not mention, a freezer to make a keezer to store your full cornys!

...that will lead to temp controller, a tower, faucets, drip tray...and it goes on, and on, and on.

I think you'll be happy with the 5#, splitter, more cornys, and a keezer.

One mans humble opinion.

Thanks for your reply!

You'd probably not fill a 20# but every four years.

I have two 5# CO2 tanks...they last a long time and only cost $15 max (here in MA) exchange for a full one. I fill ONE of them MAYBE yearly. One sits under the bar pushing two cornys in the fridge and one I use as a backup, to push beer around, and to carb up.

That is really a good thing to know.

Maybe sell one of the 5# and use the money for a gas splitter (you can serve and carb up at the same time at 12 psi, carb up will just take a couple of weeks), more cornys, and what you did not mention, a freezer to make a keezer to store your full cornys!

...that will lead to temp controller, a tower, faucets, drip tray...and it goes on, and on, and on.

I think you'll be happy with the 5#, splitter, more cornys, and a keezer.

One mans humble opinion.

The list does go on and on... so much to learn, and I feel like I've learned so much already! What an awesome, intense, and absolutely consuming hobby.

trade a 5 for a 20 at airgas

save the second 5 as a backup

start saving the money to build a manifold using secondary regs, there is a guy on ebay that sells them for 20 bucks each. you will spend another 10 to 15 per on the connections

profit

This is a bit off topic, but I was looking for CO2 refill information in Rutland, VT, myself and found this post. Small world! I just started brewing two months ago as did a friend of mine after we completed the VT Brewery Challenge in November.

Anyway, if you have any good information on CO2 refills in Rutland I would really like to hear about it!

Back