Smaller batch mash scaling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101DDD

Reaction score
So I've got those Mr. Beer fermenters, and I'm not looking to more/different fermenters, and I like being able to do smaller batches and try different things. I'm doing partial mashes :) now, but I'm seeing more and more that I'm one small step away from all grain:D.

So my question is, can you still get good efficiencies from smaller batches or is it too difficult to get the water amount right? Anybody got any good water to grain ratios for mash water & sparge water?

Thanks for the assist.

I use 1.3 quarts of water per pound of grain for mashing and the amount of sparge water is going to be dependant on the size of the fermenter. I don't see why you would have low efficiency if you do everything correctly. I know you said you don't want different fdd.enters but they ARE very cheap... And when you experiment with 5 gallons and it comes out great hou will have more to drink and share. You can also download some software to help you with the water/grain amounts.

I use 1.3 quarts of water per pound of grain for mashing and the amount of sparge water is going to be dependant on the size of the fermenter. I don't see why you would have low efficiency if you do everything correctly. I know you said you don't want different fdd.enters but they ARE very cheap... And when you experiment with 5 gallons and it comes out great hou will have more to drink and share. You can also download some software to help you with the water/grain amounts.

That's very helpful. I agree that fermenters are cheap, I honestly just don't want to make batches that big. I enjoy my beers liberally over months and friends don't return the bottles! :cross: So, making smaller batches allows me to keep the costs lower all around. Thanks for the help!

Latest posts

Back