Slow Start with Washed Yeast??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael.berta

Reaction score
OK this is my first time repitching washed yeast so bear with me. I used a process similar to this to get the yeast out of my primary and into sanitized several jars.

I repitched about 350ML of washed yeast (Wyeast 3068 washed on Sunday) into 4.5 gallons of 1.060 wort and aerated. I did not make a starter because this yeast was just washed two days ago. This seems to be more than enough based on the pitching rate calculator even without a starter. After about 16 hours I see no activity.

I've read all over these forums about washed yeast taking off like a rocket after a few hours so I'm kinda worried.

Also, the slurry I pitched was very thick. Basically I took what was my equivalent of this picture decanted off the spent beer. Poured about 200ML into another sanitized container; added another 200ML of chilled boiled water and shook it like it owed me money. After 45 minutes I didn't see much separation so I just pitched the whole thing. Could I have just pitched a bunch of trub and not much yeast? I'm assuming next time maybe I should have way more water in the second jar to actually see the separation.

Finally the yeast was Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen. Now that I think about it maybe it's best to top crop this yeast? Maybe because it is a low flocculating yeast and I harvested from the bottom maybe I only harvested a bunch of crappers?

OK so my questions:

Does it appear that I screwed anything up in regards to the process?
Has anyone had similar issues with Wyeast 3068 slow starting?
Should I pitch more of the harvested yeast and/or make a starter?
Or, have I not waited long enough and I seriously need to RDWHAHB?

I'm just worried because it seems that with everyone else re pitched yeast takes off like a rocket. Also, I'm brewing 12 gallons of Weizenbock today and don't want to pitch more of this washed yeast if it is crap and isn't working...

Thanks

Mike

It's not entirely clear from your description, but if the jar was still cloudy (as the picture suggests) when you did your final decant just before pitching, you may have decanted off the yeast and saved the trub.

My understanding of yeast washing is as follows:
- add sterile water into yeast cake, and swirl/shake/agitate to get everything into suspension
- wait about 20 minutes for the heavier trub to settle out
- decant and retain the liquid (which still contains the yeast in suspension)
- wait another 20 minutes or so for more settling
- again, decant and retain the liquid and put in the fridge

Then, a day or so later, the yeast will settle out leaving you with clear liquid on top of a layer of yeast (and possibly some trub). Then, before using you'll once again decant, but this time things are flipped - you'll toss the clear liquid and retain the slurry for your starter (I'd always recommend a starter - it's cheap insurance that the yeast, regardless of source, are viable).

My original decant was decanting beer off of the first jar. I think the jar was cloudy because it was only a 50/50 ratio of yeast/trub with water.

Just to update: It ended up taking off just fine. It just got a slow start. I think that Wyeast 3068 starts slow....

As to not start a new thread I will hi jack this one. sorry :) can you wash the yeast from the secondary and will it be as good as what was in the primary?

Back