Altbier - Dusseldorf style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
I am interested in making a Dusseldorf-style Altbier. I've never had one, so I have no idea what it should be like. A colleague's wife is from Dusseldorf and he raves about the beer when he visits her family back in Germany. He can't find anything locally, so I thought I'd try to make him some. I know the basics of the Altbier style - ale yeast, ferment at ale temp, lager conditioning. However, I don't know what ingredients to use - in fact I have no idea what color or IBU level to shoot for. I know there are American-style altbiers, but my colleague has mentioned that these are not very close to the original and I'd like to shoot for as close to authentic as possible. Any help? I'd like a partial-mash recipe, but can convert all grain or extract too.

Thanks. :mug:

I brewed an Alt a while back that turned out pretty good. Here's the recipe:

6 lbs. amber LME
1 lb. light DME
1 lb. CaraMunich II
1 oz. Perle (60 min)
1 oz. Spalt (20 min)
1 oz. Spalt (5 min)
Wyeast 1338

This is a simple extract recipe that produced good results.

hb_007.jpg

Here's the BJCP style guideline for Düsseldorf Altbier:

BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines - Category 07

Thanks for the link to the Altbier style profile - I somehow missed that category when I went a'searchin'. Your alt looks great too.

Back