El P - Samuel Smith Nut Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

God Emporer BillyBrew

Reaction score
Hey, El P or anyone else with the Beers Captured book. Would you mind telling me the ingredients to the Samuel Smith Nut Brown Ale listed in there. I left my book at home and am wanting to go by the LHBS on the way home.

5 oz. British 55L Crystal Malt
3 oz. British Chocolate Malt
6 lb. Munons Extra Light DME
1 1/2 oz. East Kent Goldings @ 5%AA
1/2 oz. Fuggles @ 5%AA
Irish Moss
Wyeast 1187 Ringwood Ale, or
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale

Don't know if you're a Wyeast or a WL guy, but I've used White Labs WLP005 British Ale Yeast in place of the 1187 Ringwood...they're the same strain.

Thanks man. I appreciate it. I'm a whatever the brew shop has man. Which is mainly White labs, so thanks for the info. I'm on my way right now. .

Hey, thanks again. I got my starter going tonight.

So I bought all of those ingredients at my LHBS plus an extra 3 lb bag and replaced my siphon tube and spent $50. Does that seem kind of high? does to me. economics might force me to start just buying the Brewers Best kits which are $23-$30 per kit.

billybrew said:
Hey, thanks again. I got my starter going tonight.

So I bought all of those ingredients at my LHBS plus an extra 3 lb bag and replaced my siphon tube and spent $50. Does that seem kind of high? does to me. economics might force me to start just buying the Brewers Best kits which are $23-$30 per kit.
Not really...9 lbs of DME at my LHBS would be $45, and I'm sure the rest of the stuff would be more than $5. To keep the cost down, I either order the DME from Northern Brewer (~$3/lb w/ shipping), or lately I've been using LME instead of DME (~ $2 / lb).

You're right. I put the same order in at Austin Homebrew last night and it came to $52 before shipping or adding ice for the yeast. I'm glad because I'd like to keep shopping locally.

So DME in bulk could save me money. Any other ideas? I guess I could split starters and save my $6. Are you happy with your results using LME?

billybrew said:
So DME in bulk could save me money. Any other ideas? I guess I could split starters and save my $6. Are you happy with your results using LME?
Haven't tried one yet, except for the samples. My LHBS goes through a lot of LME, so I'm not concerned.

1/2 oz. Fuggles @ 5%AA
Irish Moss
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale

Don't know if you're a Wyeast or a WL guy, but I've used White Labs WLP005 British Ale Yeast in place of the 1187 Ringwood...they're the same strain.

Anybody know if these hops are for all 60 minutes of the boil or are they stagered?

Waffling between a Rogue Hazelnut and a SS Nut Brown for this weekend
Thanks
:mug:

1/2 oz. Fuggles @ 5%AA
Irish Moss
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale

How did this turn out? Is it close to SS version?

Back