Older house, modern "entertainement" cabling options...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergears

Reaction score
Single family house from the 70's, one-floor ranch with full access basement. It needs a lot of TLC and is not occupied, which means great time to punch holes in walls as needed!

What cabling options should I consider for the general "entertainement" category, audio, etc, without going overboard?

Desires:
- support for some sort of media server
- two all-house audio channels (his and hers)
- cable tv in two spots in the house
- full net coverage (stick with wireless or add wired conn. as well?)

I guess a little money and planning work now would help get nice options in future.

I passed all my cabling down through the walls from the attic.

For the surround sound speakers I dropped the wires in the walls, cut a 1" hole, and mounted a plate to connect the wire to next to the speaker mounts.

I brought all the speaker wires down to another plate behind the TV. This way all the wires just go a short distance to the plate in the wall.

I soldered all connections. ;)

With an open basement and attic, you can do anything you want now or later. The key is having a good raceway between the two. Find somewhere to put in a 3" EMT run between the basement and attic.

If you ever decide you might go with satellite tv, make sure you have two RG-6 coax runs to any room where you might want it.

BTW, I've got a LOT of surplus 18/4 stranded CL-3 wire left. I bought 1000' reel when I was planning a whole house audio project. PM if interested...cheap.

Back