Summit/Amarillo hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am somewhat intrigued and I'm not sure why about creating an IPA with the mixture of these two hops.

I know Amarillo has already become almost overused with some IPA's but what Summit. What do you guys know about this hop? would this be a good mixture?

The hop schedule maybe would look something like this

.5 oz Summit @ 60 Min
.5 oz Amarillo @ 20 Min
.5 oz Summit @ 10 Min
.5 oz Amarillo @ 10 Min
.5 oz Summit @ 5 Min
.5 Oz Amarillo @ 5 Min
.5 oz of each for dry hopping

You need more IBU's. Try adding 1 oz Summit at 60 minutes. That should take you to about 70 IBU's

Summit is awesome!!! You will love it...

I once thought about making an IPA with three-four citrus hops

Summit (Tangerine)
Amarillo (Citrus)
Cascade (Grapefruit)
Centential (Citrus)

I was thinking one type I had found, not listed, had a lime flavor or aroma. I can't recall what it was...

Summit is an excellent smelling and tasting hop. See my sig and my Summit SMaSH Beer Recipe.

+1 Schlenkerla's comments

I love all the Hops you listed, and have used LOTS of summit in my big IPA's / APA's. I would also recommend a Summit and Riwaka hop combo. The Riwaka is hard to find, but I just did one with it and it has a wonderful Tangerine flavor. I think I found them at Austin Homebrew.

+1 on King of Cascade's comment.. use the 1oz if you are making a big IPA, you wont regret the smooth fruity bitterness.

-DIG

Thanks for all the comments guys... with the IPA i'm doing the hop bill is at 68 IBU with 18.2 Summit and 8.9 Amarillo. For some reason I want to make a bunch of hop additions and have some high Alpha hops here.

I fudged with it a tiny bit

.5 summit 60 Min
.5 Amarillo 20 Min
.5 summit 15 Min
.5 amarillo 10 Min
.5 summit 5 Min
.5 Amarillo 5 Min
.5 Summit Dry Hopped
.5 Amarillo Dry Hopped

I think 68 IBU's is at the high end of the style guideline for an American IPA. This being my first I might just leave it here. I think my problem here is that I have somme unusually high alpha Amarillo.

:off: - The type of hop I was thinking about earlier.......

Boadicea

The worlds first aphid resistant hop, requiring less pesticide use. High Alpha dwarf variety with floral grassy, faintly LIME-like aroma.

This was in Northernbrewers old catalogs... I tried finding this on google I think this is one of the most obscure hops I ever researched.

:fro:

Back