kits -vs- just buying individual ingredients?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snazzy

Reaction score
I must be missing something. I was just on northern brewers web site trying to price out my next beer so I decided to look at the AG kits instead of buying ingredients individual. What I found was a kit sold for 28 bucks, I copied down the listed ingredients and priced them as if I were to buy them seperate. 51 dollars is what it came to be.
Is this right? Do you really save that much buying premaid kits? You cant even buy the 5oz of centenial for the listed price of the kit.
My LHBS never lists there ingredients on the web site, so I always buy individual and arrange for a pickup. Am I overpaying?
Thanks for any insight.

Your not missing something. I've done the same thing with Northern Brewer and found most of their kits are an extremely great deal compared to buying the ingredients individually. Most of the brews I've done have been recipes I've created but these kits are looking more and more attractive to me. These are proven recipes and you can't beat the price.

Wow....I'm glad I have such good LHBS's in my area...one even in walking distance...My grain bill on Thursday for 6 pounds of 2-row, 1 pound of crystal 10, 1 pound of Carapils and 1 pound of flaked corn was a whopping $18.80...

I walked there, then stopped for a sub and iced tea at a party store next door, walked across the street to the river, had a picnic watching the freighters pass by , walked back to my loft and brewed...Made for an awesome afternoon off.

And didn't spend one cent on gas or shipping!

that is about the going rate at my LHBS [about 1.70 per lbs for most], but this NB price does not even compare. Like 11.5 of 2row, 1lbs caramel40, 4.75oz of centenial w' yeast for 29 bucks. 5oz of centenial they say will cost $35.

This is why I buy from MoreBeer. They're very well priced and, of course, the free shipping is great. My local supplier is much more expensive.

I generally buy kits as well. It seems like I have a hell of a time getting the hops I need unless I buy a kit.

Wow....I'm glad I have such good LHBS's in my area...
And didn't spend one cent on gas or shipping!
Count yourself lucky. The nearest LHBS to me is 33 miles away and only mediocre. That's 2.5 gallons (round trip) of gas at $3.85/gallon. AHS's shipping at $6.99 wins every time.

-Joe

That is why I buy bags of grains. You get grain at a reasonable price and it is fresh. You do need a mill though. Hops can be a problem right now but that will change as the growers know that it is in demand and there is none available. We just have to bite the bullet a while longer and hops will come back. Just look around and there are some hop varieties available if you look hard enough. Kits are good for those with little time to look for deals.

Back